Honored Contributor

Re: Downy Woodpecker At Hummingbird Feeder

[ Edited ]

@fthunt wrote:

Buy your Woodpeckers a Birdola 2 pound seed cake and they will love you forever.  Put it in a wire cage and hang from S Hook.  I have all size and color of WP.  Big woody wood pecker w/red head and small ones black/white.  Winter time is when they really need the seed blocks - they don't like eating loose seeds with other birds.

@fthunt   I just Googled the Birdola seed cake.  It sounds much like what I give them.  I have a cylinder feeder and use woodpecker blend cylinders.  This is what they look like.  They're in a covered feeder made for the cylinders.  Woodpeckers, cardinals, carolina wrens and other birds like this cylinder.

fullsizeoutput_251.jpeg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

The little woodies drink out of my hummingbird feeder all the time.....they're real guzzlers. Ha!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack  I have a special double suet feeder with a long panel of wood in the center about 8" long designed specifically for the pileated to use--it allows him balance by leaning his large body and tail against the wood panel while he enjoys the suet....smart design for such a large bird. The other suet eaters also appreciate the size of the feeder, it helps the larger woodpeckers including the red bellies and flickers. To watch the pileated when he flies from the feeder over to the tree is amazing--they are huge and beautiful creatures and his song is big. Also have the red bellies and flickers.  Love to hear their songs.  Love to hear the geese honking when they are flying overhead. I back up to Rock Creek Park in DC suburbs so I am fortunate to live with lots of bird life and wildlife... My favorite bird, though is the catbird--I have 1 or 2 who come back every spring and for the summer...very friendly...they sing, I whistle and they copy my sounds...we talk to each other, they fly close, follow me around the yard and are very friendly birds...love the cranberries and raisins I put out for them...they sit up in my maple tree in the evening and sing themselves to sleep!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack 

I have a yard full of woodpeckers!  I hear them around late afternoon -- I just wonder what is bringing them?  They've been "visiting" me almost everyday.  Some have "blue" headress 

(The neighbor had a pine tree that the bark is now completely gone!  They had to end up removing it because it was dead)

Here are a few pics:  

IMG_2995.JPG

IMG_2997.JPG

Tonight its a turtle ....its like the wildneress in my backyard!'

Honored Contributor

What beautiful pictures @homedecor1 !  It would be amazing to have pileated woodpeckers in your back yard.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

We have several varieties of woodpeckers that visit us. Pileated, red headed, red belly, downy. I love them all and especially enjoy hearing them when I'm taking my 6 am walk.

Honored Contributor

You would not like woodpeckers if you lived in a log home. I had to stop feeding the birds because we were overun with all kinds of woodpeckers , they were ruining our logs. I live in the woods and never saw a woodpecker until I put out bird feeders.

Trusted Contributor

@NickNackI also use the cylinder bird feeder, they work great.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack , Wow, I have never seen that type of woodpecker before, thank you for the picture, so cute!

Honored Contributor

Love woodpeckers. We have a lot of them. Have tried to get a picture of the piliated one but can’t. Too many trees and by the time I clomp around trying to find him he is gone.