Esteemed Contributor

Re: Down memory lane yesterday.

DH and I have been married for 52 years, two children, and two GC.  Those little toots are the joy of our old age.  We look back over all we have been through together.  Hard times and good.  I have told my DH that I hope I pass into eternal life first.  He is more brave than me, and I cannot think of life without him.

Honored Contributor

Ahhh! Memory lane! If only we knew then what we know now! My older than me ice skating buddy keeps wanting to do what he "used to be able to do" on skates. Me, I  look at what I am doing at the present and hope I can continue doing it for a long time. But hey, he's 83 and still a darned good skater.

Thanks for sharing your memories. So far my posture is still as straight up as yesteryear, but I do work a lot on keeping it that way as long as possible.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal 

‘Grow old along with me,

The Best is yet to be.’  ~ Robert Browning

Thank You for sharing this.  A beautiful heart moment to keep you warm.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

Happy Anniversary.  How wonderful it is when two people have been married for over fifty years and their hearts beat when they look at one another.  Talk about true love, you and yours sure have it.  Heart

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

DH and I have been married for 52 years, two children, and two GC.  Those little toots are the joy of our old age.  We look back over all we have been through together.  Hard times and good.  I have told my DH that I hope I pass into eternal life first.  He is more brave than me, and I cannot think of life without him.

Pam, I have forgotten how many times I have said that to my husband, and he ( and honestly I !!KNOW!! that what he has said back to me, is true.... I won't survive without you. Meaning just that; he meant , Oh No somewhat kidding, I want to go first.

That has concerned me. He is five years older than me.

His only rescue button is; _"I don't want to talk about it_".

~ I understand exactly how you meant that.~

I often say we will be in Eternity together just not at the same time. I SUPPOSE?

He said back, heaven is here with you touching you, just being together in the same room. I'll have to go side by side. (HUMOR HERE).

There were many times when we were newly married we talked about someday...not actually in a state of mind to capture what an older age would / could ever be and never giving thought that we would even reach 40...that was old to us.

I said in one of the last posts, 'one day ...that day will come, when one of us will not be as one'.  It is though the conversation should not be brought to attention with a bit of humor..   I suppose unless one of us mentions burial..that was done when we were,....here again, in our mid twenties.  

"....so what I have to do is live to be 100 and be out of my mind"~  highlighted me in red. Also for my husband.

I do believe, from the former poster, to keep busy (and he does more than I do physically.  He can do the same things just about the same as when he was in his 20s, honestly.

He does not or needs to continue his God given talent being in music (concert), or running an international business. 

We both absolutely love and enjoy our life together...where did the time go?  Go to a high school class reunion and sum up those who have died. Many in their 30s. 

Numerous amount already.  I was very surprised. We had a huge graduating class of 488. 

@PamfromCT  Heart

NAES

Trusted Contributor

My husband and I will be married 57 yrs. in a few months.

We were high school sweethearts!   Love does conquer all!!

God bless you both!Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@NAES1, I know we are kindred spirits.  Yes, I remember being so young I could not imagine growing old.  Time goes by so quickly, and all of a sudden you are there.  You do remember traveling through life, looking at all the happy times.  And then you do remember difficult times, each losing both parents, etc., and the many challenges of everyday life.

We enjoy many quiet moments in everyday life, as we are basically homebodies.  to have the opportunity of traveling is nice, but after two weeks or so we are ready to go home.

My DH seems much more uncomfortable when I broach the subject of how one of us will be left here on earth for a while.  He will find ways to change the subject.  Sound familiar?  

I always enjoy communicating with you, as We are very alike I’m so many ways and have gone through so much together.  I am so blessed to have dear NAES as a treasured friend.  Someone who cares so much about others and is always there to help anyone in need.  It is getting more rare in today’s world.

Love and Hugs,

Pam

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal 

I love your post!  We married about the same time as you, our 53rd is in September and I don't know where the time has gone.  Heart

Honored Contributor

Congratulations to all of you married over 50 years. So many memories!

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal   A beautiful tribute to your 53 years together....and may you have many more.