Esteemed Contributor

@dogsx3 

So unfortunate to have this experience.

I have always said, a store is only as good as it's employees, and I've encountered good and bad at many, including Walmart.

Mostly, my experiences have been good.

It's a shame the resolution was so difficult, but I'm glad you got it straightened out.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@Spacrazy wrote:

The biggest concern for me is that you were allowed to return candy (even though it was unopened) assuming it was re-stocked.  Too many variables for safety in this scenario - I wouldn’t want to buy it.  

So many places and people that would love receiving some candy through donation.

-----

I rarely return things @Spacrazy but I once picked up the wrong type of popcorn (and returned it unopened) thinking they could restock it. The CS rep told me food products have to be disposed of. I felt bad and have been much more conscientious of my purchases since then.

And especially returning Halloween candy after Halloween. 

Esteemed Contributor

I am sorry that OP had this experience, but glad it was resolved.  Thankfully, this hasn't been my experience with Walmart.

However, I think the most disturbing thing I read on this thread is a poster calling the employees of Walmart "bottom of the barrel, local folks".  These are human beings that are going to work and not living off a hand out.  This poster should rethink their opinion of mankind.  They may one day need a job among their local neighbors.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Trusted Contributor

@dogsx3 wrote:

I will NEVER return to that store. Ok i only go maybe once ar twice a year, i buy halloween candy there, and maybe laundry soap. Well today i wanted to return 2 extra bags of un-opened candy, about 24.00. I waited about 20 minutes in long line, then left to do other errands. When i got home a few hours later, something told me to check my account. What i saw was a DEBIT for 24.00 and then a credit for 24.00. Which means for all you smart ladies,....i was never given my money back. 

So i called and was told to come back to store with my reciept... about a 20 minute drive back. I did  and asked for a manager. I showed him my account and what happened, and he said i would need to bring a bank statement with date and time of transactions....because they need to know WHEN it took place. I was very upset, and the lady who did the return was very snotty to me and said " I would never do that". 

i called my bank then and there, Lucky to get a human, and she verified the transcations seconds apart.....I was given my 24.00 back. BUt really it wasn"t the small 24.00 amount to me at   all,  it was how I was treated.

That manager could not have been too bright to have figured out what happened on the receipts.  

Esteemed Contributor

When people start a thread about I am done with....why do you start a thread why not just leave?

Honored Contributor

Since retiring, I have worked parttime in customer service at a grocery store chain.  The stories I could tell!  You'd be shocked at what people try to return, the games they play, and how often people try to defraud/steal.  And everyone wants something for nothing.  I get why WalMart, Sam's, etc want to be sure before refunding money.  

At the same time, stores need to treat people with dignity and respect.  They need to remember that most people are honest.  Yes, it can be difficult when many of the customers they see continually try to steal/defraud but it's no excuse for mistreating anyone.  

Honored Contributor

@Spacrazy wrote:

The biggest concern for me is that you were allowed to return candy (even though it was unopened) assuming it was re-stocked.  Too many variables for safety in this scenario - I wouldn’t want to buy it.  

So many places and people that would love receiving some candy through donation.

********************  That was exactly my concern when I read this post.  That doesn't mean I think they treated op right because obviously..... THEY DIDN'T.  She has every right to be upset.  I just don't like the idea that I could buy someone else's returned candy.  These days it's just not safe.  I bought a bag of candy a few months ago and put it in my pantry where I thought it would keep cool.  It didn't.  Evidently my kitchen was warm on a day I didn't use the air conditioner while cooking and it started to melt ever so slightly....so needless to say, I think they should change the policy when it comes to edibles. 

Respected Contributor

I've learned to always check my receipts.  Especially when that little voiice inside you telling you something just isn't right even though the cashier said she did it correctly.  At Kroger, they've charge me for some items that I was supposed to get free (like a bag of cookies and salad kit) with my digital coupons.  When there are sales of BOGO or buy 2 get one free or anything like that, many times I'm charged wrong.

Respected Contributor

Re: Done with Wal-mart.....

[ Edited ]

Sad that if I was done with Walmart there would be no where to shop in my town  Smiley Sad

Would have to go out of town and that is ok but not every week!

Not a huge fan of Walmart but when you are in a small town and they drove out every other store when they came here there is not any choice but to shop there!

Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Recently left without a bag of a few things and didnt notice this until the afternoon after shopping there in the morning. Called them and they said they keep a Left Behind notebook!

Was able to go in the next morning and get the items that I left, even though they were not at the customer desk, was easy to go around the store and get them and go back to the desk and they checked them and put in a bag and done Smiley Happy  At least they were good about that.

Esteemed Contributor

We're definately in a 'buyer beware' culture. This term used to apply to the buyer alone being responsible for checking the quality of goods before purchase is made. Now it's flowed over to the buyer catching cashier,  banking and compromised account errors. No surprise we have to expend time and energy to ensure return policies are fair. It's frustrating. 

Agree with poster who said I would rather give the candy away than try to return. Don't think I've ever returned food.     

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau