Valued Contributor

About once a week I get an email "from Life Lock" security. that my subscription has been re-newed!..Includes an 1-800#. from Boulder Co.?? and a price of $283.? I have never had one of these accounts..If you get one please don't fall for it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Don't fall for this email!

@Jo1313    Agree --  and do the same for similar emails from Amazon (I've had 3 on the same day), the Geek Squad (several over a few days) and more.   

There must be a website for these email thieves showing them sample notices they can use.   Anyone know?

Honored Contributor

Why oh why would one even consider it?

Honored Contributor

@rms1954   They must get responses or they wouldn't continue doing it.  Lots of suckers out there.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

We received one saying it was from Norton and charged us $449.99 to renew.  Every time one of these comes through my husband believes it true.  This one was tricky because the one way to tell it was fake (other than I never had a subscription I paid for) was a couple characters in the email that were incorrect which someone could overlook.

I fowarded it to Norton to investigate.

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 

Because a lot of unsuspecting people are not internet savy nor aware of all of the scams out there.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Frequent Contributor

I get things like that all the time.  Yesterday it was my renewal of Norton Security  which I don't have.  Have also gotten them from Amazon and PayPal confirming or checking on my order.  You wouldn't believe how many Ipads I have bought.

In the past I would forward them to the appropriate company to report a spoof.  But I still got the same e-mails a number of times with the same addresses and buyer info.  So I guess they did not or cannot do much to stop the jerks.

These days I just laugh, flag it as spam and hit delete. 

Honored Contributor

I got one from Amazon a while back. I called Amazon, and the first representative I talked to put me in contact with their fraud department. The representative there was such a help. She sent me the address of the Amazon fraud department so I could forward the email to them. She said they do investigate these.

She also gave me this great advice: Open the address of the sender. Most of the time you will see a gmail address. Make sure you check that the email is coming directly from the sender you know. 

I still get fraudulent emails, and I always check the address. Then I delete them.  

Frequent Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@rms1954   They must get responses or they wouldn't continue doing it.  Lots of suckers out there.

This is true but there are some who are ridiculously over cautious

Not to long ago I sent a gift thru Amazon.  When the person got the package instead of opening it she called Amazon and made a fuss about her account being hacked and was not going to pay for whatever it was.

They checked her account and told her to keep or dispose of the item at their own discretion .  (Note the rep should have suggested it might be a gift)

It was not until much later after opening the box and giving the item away my gift note was found.  I was shocked and ****** off when she called to apologise.  

Duh....I have never heard of hacking a person's account, sending something them and waiting for delivery to steal the box.    But who knows this may be the next rip off plan.

Honored Contributor

@Susan345   I can imagine you were thoroughly disgusted but your account gave me a good laugh, especially your possible scenario.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment