Respected Contributor

Re: Don’t Mess with Old People

@Jordan2 I would carry my mother to the dr and they would say, does she seem confused to you?   She would say"no I am not and I am sitting here so ask me yourself."  It was somewhat funny but I also could see that her feelings were raw so it could have been degrading to her.  She is now with God and he is taking care of her needs.  I miss her daily!!!!!!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

After my Dad died and Mom was in her late 70s she got one of those scam phone calls.  The guy was trying to get her to give her SS number.

Well, Mom's body might have been failing, the mind was sharp as a tack.

She told him that he wasn't getting her ****** SS and he called the wrong old lady to scam. Then she slammed the phone in his ear.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

After my Dad died and Mom was in her late 70s she got one of those scam phone calls.  The guy was trying to get her to give her SS number.

Well, Mom's body might have been failing, the mind was sharp as a tack.

She told him that he wasn't getting her ****** SS and he called the wrong old lady to scam. Then she slammed the phone in his ear.

Sometimes I miss  when you could 'slam the phone down'.  Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt  Me too.  I can go one better than slamming receiver down.

When I got married 51 years ago all phones were rotary of course.  You could get a desk phone or wall phone.  We had a wall phone in the kitchen.

I was young and didn't have the mouth I have now. My one new a sister-in-law  loved to chew people up and spit them out.

We were on the phone one day and she p*ssed me off so much I not only slammed the receiver down, I pulled the phone off the wall and thru it outside......in the pouring rain.

My DH of less than a year came in for lunch carrying the dripping phone and just looked at me.

I said I was talking to Sally.  His response was, "that sounds about right. She can be a witch."

Respected Contributor

@wilma wrote:

1EB8A039-05C1-4741-81F5-16B0F3DFF7CC.jpeg

No offense intended, but I really dislike this picture. Most older women (60+ in my estimation) look NOTHING like that. It's a cliche and insulting to older people (men, too).

I DO agree--don't mess with older people. We're generally a lot more experienced in life and the ways of the world, and we're not easily fooled. And if someone DOES try something, we've got our family and friends to help us out.

Respected Contributor

Vintage Old Age and Treachery Metal Sign 8 x 14 Inches