Valued Contributor

Re: Dog has congestive heart failure

No, in Lancaster County PA 

Valued Contributor

I thought of that, Even thought that something happened to his trachea but since the x-ray showed an enlarged heart, I guess that’s what it was but I do think that something could have happened.

Valued Contributor

Max is taking Lasix and Enalapril 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KACEE1115   Groomers use a leash around the dog's neck while grooming, if the dog resists if can harm their trachea which results in the coughing.  I have a very small dog and request a belly band instead of the neck band.  For me, it is highly suspect that this  coughing would occur after a grooming.  Just a thought and wishing your little Max all the best.

Honored Contributor

We had 2 weimaraners , both died due to congestive heart failure at 12 years old. We found out this is common in this breed. Weims are large dogs who need to run free every day because they are just bundles of energy, and to see them just lying around all the time , no energy, is a heart break. The meds will work for a while. One of ours lived a couple years on meds  after her first bout with CHF.

New Contributor

Prayers for Max!  My Pekingese Precious was diagnosed with congestive heart failure when she was over 16 and put on meds.  She also had kidney failure, but in spite of being told that 6 months was generous as far as life expectancy she somehow managed to live another 1 1/2 years with few issues.  

Valued Contributor

He is so afraid when getting groomed. And hate when they do his feet, so they do put a cone on him which I approve because I am afraid he might bite them out of fear. And yes I was thinking about that  Neckband. Next time I will ask for a belly band. Thank you.

Honored Contributor

@January121 Food or fluid in the lung would cause aspiration pneuminia not CHF. CHF is caused by either kidney failure so they can't get rid of fluid and it builds up in the lungs or the heart is not strong enough to pump the blood around efficiently and fluid builds up in the lungs. Usually because the kidneys aren't getting good enough blood flow to them so they can get rid of the fluid. It is the HEART that's failing not the lungs.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've had several dogs with heart problems that went into congestive heart failure.  The ones that had this more recently were on enalapril, Vetmedin and lasix and did quite well for many years.

I don't see how this could possibly have happened at the groomer's.  I think it is purely coincidental.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@January121 Food or fluid in the lung would cause aspiration pneuminia not CHF. CHF is caused by either kidney failure so they can't get rid of fluid and it builds up in the lungs or the heart is not strong enough to pump the blood around efficiently and fluid builds up in the lungs. Usually because the kidneys aren't getting good enough blood flow to them so they can get rid of the fluid. It is the HEART that's failing not the lungs.

@151949 .... thanks for the clarification .... I hope all works out 😶