Honored Contributor

Re: Does your name suit you?

[ Edited ]

The thought never entered my mind except in first grade when there were 8 of us with the same name.  I got called the short version while some of the others got the long version and mine also had my surname attached so as to differentiate all of us.  What a pain.

Super Contributor

I guess my name suits me pretty well.  It's not a common name anymore, and growing up I didn't run across it very often.  However it does kind of date me, it isn't a name used anymore.  I can't think of a name I would prefer.

Esteemed Contributor

When I was young I never liked my name. It was different & I wanted a more common name. Once I reached adulthood I realized how interesting it was to have an uncommon name.

So yes , my name suits me. 

Honored Contributor

I was named Carmela after my P Grandmother.  When I was a kid, I wasn't too found of it and it was not popular.  I didn't know any other Carmela's.

The name has now spiked and I know a lot of young girls named Carmela.  I guess the name suits me, but almost everyone calls me Carmie.

My kids say I am a "goodie two shoes" and call me Sister Carmela Marie.   My best friend's mother always called me Carmela Marie too, instead of Carmie.

Esteemed Contributor

I have an ordinary first name but there is a Hebrew version I've used for many years.

Honored Contributor

Yes, it suits me. It’s the name Mama & Daddy chose for me, so it’s perfect.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

I have always liked my name.  I was named after an old song and my father used to sing to me when I was little.  

Honored Contributor

My parents made up my name.  They never could recall how they came up with it.  I've never encountered anyone with the same name, although I find a few people when I Google it.  Most people can't pronounce it.  I'd just  as soon be someone else.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@IdahoGram wrote:

I guess my name suits me pretty well.  It's not a common name anymore, and growing up I didn't run across it very often.  However it does kind of date me, it isn't a name used anymore.  I can't think of a name I would prefer.

My thoughts exactly.  Mine is a pretty name, but not used anymore.  I didn't know anyone in school with my name.  In fact, I only know one other person with my name and I met her at work.  I've googled my first and last name, and there is not another person with my whole name.

After my parents died I found a little birth announcement card that was sent out.  It said my name was Alene.  My mother's friend across the street was named Alene, both of my grandfathers were named Alma, and my grandmother was Albina.  So I guess I was being named after all of them.  But somehow, in the next week or two, my named got changed and I don't know why. 

Esteemed Contributor

My name is Elizabeth and as a child I was called Betty.  When I reached the age of eighteen I made it clear to everyone who knew me that I no longer would respond to Betty.  My name is Elizabeth, not Liz, not Liza, not Lizzy.  From that day forward I have been called Elizabeth.  I found that the majority of people were polite in that they would ask if it would be okay to call me Liz.  My answer was always the same, I prefer Elizabeth.  I love the name and that is who I am.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam