Esteemed Contributor

I watered a friends plants and checked on her house when she went on vacation. She brought me back a pair of long dangling seashell earrings as a "Thank You".  I don't wear those type of earrings, but I told her they were very nice and I appreciated the gesture.

I was just going to tuck them away in my jewelry box, but my daughter thinks I should regift them to a relative who likes that kind of jewelry. I have never "regifted" anything before.....

Honored Contributor

I would likely just give them to that relative.

Respected Contributor

I would give them to my relative and tell her that they were given to me as a gift and while they are beautiful (even if you don't think they are, not to insult her taste) that they are not something you would probably wear and you thought of her and would like for her to have them. 

Trusted Contributor

If you're not going to wear I'd say pass them along to the relative that would. Either gift them on a special occasion or just give them to her. She'd probably be thrilled.

Respected Contributor

Never .... I always "exchange" it for something I really want (if I don't know where it was purchased ... I discreetly find out).    For me, I would not want someone's "gift."

Esteemed Contributor

@seaBreeze wrote:

Never .... I always "exchange" it for something I really want (if I don't know where it was purchased ... I discreetly find out).    For me, I would not want someone's "gift."

Sure, why not? If I hate the fragrance of a perfume I receive as a gift, and I haven't opened it, why in the world wouldn't I give it to someone who I know loves it?

How could I ask the gifter (discreetly) where she bought the perfume? She'd probably know I wanted to return it, which would make matters worse. 

I'd pass it on to someone who loves it, and it would make me feel good. And I'd be rid of it! Woman LOL

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

Re: Does anyone regift?

[ Edited ]

Give them to her, but not as a gift for a special occasion.   

I am not a of regifting.  A friend of mine once gave me a Christmas gift saying "Someone gave this to me but I don't like it, so I'm giving it to you.  Merry Christmas."   Wow.  What message does that convey?  IMO, it says she doesn't value the friendship enough to spend a few minutes looking for something I might enjoy.  I'm only worthy of receiving what she considers junk.  I was insulted.  If she doesn't care enough to spend a little time to personnally select a gift, it's not much of a friendship. 

IMO, regifting is tacky and disrespectful.  

Respected Contributor

Never Ever. I was taught that it was very tacky to do so. I might give something away or sell it in a sale or even donate, but never re-gift it as in wrapped up for an occasion.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone regift?

[ Edited ]

Is this what you consider re-gifting?

If someone is kind enough to give me a gift and it just doesn't suit for some reason I may offer it to a friend whom I think will like it.  I don't pretend it is something new, or wrap it up, I simply say it was a gift and it just doesn't work for me.  If the person to whom I offer it can use it, or knows someone who will, that's good.  If not it goes to good will.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

Yes, I think you should give them to someone who would enjoy them, but not as an occasion gift.  Just say they were given to you and it is not your style.

i wonder if the giver was regifting to you.  If she knows you well enough to trust you in her house when she is gone,  surely she has noticed what type of earrings you wear.