Honored Contributor

Does anyone here live in the vicinity of Asheville, NC?

My son is a musician.  During normal times, one of the places he most likes is Asheville, NC.  We just helped him purchase 12 acres of land, 40 minutes north or Asheville in a tiny town called Egypt.  He and DH said it's a sound investment, but I need a little convincing.

If anyone is familiar with that area, I'd love any insight you can provide.

Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone here live in the vicinity of Asheville, NC?

One can never go wrong purchasing land.  Before the crisis hit Asheville was growing and they were building homes in small towns south east of Asheville, so Asheville was probably expanding in all directions.  I dont know if its slowed down any or not.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@house_cat Asheville, NC is my home town Karen.  I am not familiar with "Egypt" at all.  There is a small community just north of here called Little Switzerland.

You'll Never Want To Leave The Little Switzerland Of North Carolina

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

This is the map he sent me.

IMG_0409.jpg

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

One can never go wrong purchasing land.  Before the crisis hit Asheville was growing and they were building homes in small towns south east of Asheville, so Asheville was probably expanding in all directions.  I dont know if its slowed down any or not.

@Imaoldhippie Sorry but here is an opposing view: You can go VERY wrong purchasing land. It may be somewhere it will never be worth much in a VERY long time.  You have to pay taxes on it.  

You have to try to keep people off of it (see how well that works out) because they will tear down fences, ride ATV's or whatever and get hurt on it, build stuff on it, etc.  Then SUE you.

It is a pain in the behind very often, especially if you are not right there all the time.

NO ALL LAND IS NOT A GOOD INVESTMENT! 

Esteemed Contributor

How is the land zoned?  Is it buildable?  Is he hoping to one day sell it to a builder?  Or does he want to build his own home on it in the future?

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

ALSO, even if it is worth something, it may take a very long time to find a buyer.  

All this negativity comes from experience!  Ha ha!

Honored Contributor

@house_cat I never had a reason to go that far.  The views closer in are beautiful.   He would be in an extremely rural area and likely be in the area of wildlife you need to be aware of.

Esteemed Contributor

Have they said what they plan to do with the land?  12 acres is a good size.  

I've driven around there, but it's been a few years ago.  It's not far off I-26.  There's a nearby country club in Mars Hill called Wolf Laurel.  Some of the guys in my family went there once to play golf.  We've also done the Wolf Ridge Ski Resort and hiked Mount Mitchell State Park--both are in that area.  From what I recall, it's beautiful land--lots of mountainous views--but not very developed.  I don't recall anything fancy like one might see at Biltmore or newer shops like one might see in Asheville, but again, it's been a few years, and a lot can happen in that time.

As far as investment piece goes, I might check to see if it's a good place to build a cabin.  This time of year cabins from Asheville to Pigeon Forge are pretty much booked--even now during Covid-19.  Lots of people in this area want to get away for a few days to the mountains.  The small 2-bedroom cabins can go for $400-$600/night.  We have friends who have a beautiful cabin in North Carolina.  They rent it out most of the year and mark off when they want to stay there.  It pretty much paid for itself.