Trusted Contributor

Re: Does anyone here live in the vicinity of Asheville, NC?

I'm familiar with Asheville and am pretty sure I have driven in that area. It's beautiful. Since he has already purchased, I think he's now in the "excitement and enjoyment" phase. Sounds lovely, whatever he plans to do with the property going forward. (He can play his music very loud on 12 acres!) Smiley Happy Congratulations to him!

Esteemed Contributor

Lovely area - family roots. Anything around Biltmore is nice. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Puppy Lips 

@jeanlake 

@MsLomo 

@wildcat fan 

@ECBG 

He and his partner are planning to build a house. He wants land for farming and she wants land for "animals". Also, he's a craftsman and needs a place for his workshop.

My son grew up in the suburbs of NYC and Los Angeles, but he's lived the last 10 years in rural Oregon and Arizona, so I think he knows what he's getting into.  She grew up in rural Virginia and her parents' home in Christiansburg is only a couple of hours from this land.

I'm creeped out by all of it, to tell the truth. I'm a city slicker and totally uncomfortable with any kind of wildlife.

DH wants us to build a cottage on the property, so if there are grandchildren eventually (one can dream), we can spend time there.  I'm reserving judgment on the merits of that idea.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat  Sounds like your son and partner made a sound decision abd your husband is on board too. Sounds good to me and wish them the best.  Avacation cabin in a beautiful part of the country for you seems a plus too.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat That location concerns me, but of course it's their decision.

Buncombe County has the top school system around as well as the top private school, plus one that deals with any learning issues founded by one of my former students.  Few of the top teachers want to live out there, (who really wants to drive on two lanes in the snow???) plus the local supplement is lower, so our county hires the top teachers, leaving the lesser candidates to go elsewhere.  

Our hospital's heart tower is said to equal Duke Universities.  The hospitals they would be closest to have had staffing and funding issues.

Coming to Asheville for our top Pediatric Unit would take so long it could be dangerous.

What, if heaven forbid, they had a critical emergency?

Many of these hospitals have to transport by ambulance for the top scanners.

We are a place where top new doctors come to live and rear families, and are known in the medical world as a "medical hub".

They'll have to get to a job?  Good luck.  The highest degrees and positions are in Asheville.

He could look in the community called Leicester NC; farther out,  Marshall, NC but you couldn't give me a free mansion past Burnsville, NC.

So sorry Karen.  If you want to send him a copy of what I wrote, please do.

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like son's partner is familiar with area. Visit downtown Asheville. Great place and perhaps a wonderful getaway for you. Growing retirement community around Asheville and it's more 'modern' than you may think. Good luck to all.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

That is the sweetest thing that they are planning for the two of you to have place there too.

I planned a long time to get my place up a mountain and have a bigger property than theirs, but love it.

Sounds like they know what they are getting into, which so important.  I have watched naive types fail when reality sets in.

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like he's found a wonderful place to settle down with plenty of room.  I've spent my whole life living 40-50 miles outside of urban areas.  I think there are many advantages to that.  We get a small community life with easy access to the big city when we want it.  Kids can get an excellent education in rural and suburban schools.  Plus, we have lower property tax rates compared to what we'd have if we were in the city.  Honestly, I wouldn't take a house in Asheville if someone gave it to me.  The more time I spend there, the more I think it's an okay place to visit, but not a place I'd want to live.  I wish all the best to your son and his wife on this new adventure, and I hope you and your husband are able to visit/join them.  After a few nights sitting under the stars and listening to the crickets, you may find you're suited for that lifestyle too. 😊

Honored Contributor

@jeanlake 

Yes, if we relocate to the area, it will be to a senior commuity of some kind.  We are very realistic and due to my husband's health issues, we need to be close to doctors, hospitals, stores and the like.

@wildcat fan 

I told DH that if we build a cottage there it must include a screened porch.  There is no way I will sit outside with the bugs and critters.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat wrote:

@Puppy Lips 

@jeanlake 

@MsLomo 

@wildcat fan 

@ECBG 

He and his partner are planning to build a house. He wants land for farming and she wants land for "animals". Also, he's a craftsman and needs a place for his workshop.

My son grew up in the suburbs of NYC and Los Angeles, but he's lived the last 10 years in rural Oregon and Arizona, so I think he knows what he's getting into.  She grew up in rural Virginia and her parents' home in Christiansburg is only a couple of hours from this land.

I'm creeped out by all of it, to tell the truth. I'm a city slicker and totally uncomfortable with any kind of wildlife.

DH wants us to build a cottage on the property, so if there are grandchildren eventually (one can dream), we can spend time there.  I'm reserving judgment on the merits of that idea.

@house_cat Well I think that sounds like a great idea.  They have a plan and a goal to work toward.  I am sure you would not want to hold them back because it is out of your comfort zone.  Doing things that make us a bit uncomfortable is what helps us grow.  I know that to be true, and frankly, I need to heed that advice more often.  If you are not used to wildlife and insects, you can ease yourself into it.  So it either works out for them or it doesn't.  And if it doesn't, well, nothing ventured, nothing gained.  I wish them all the best with this project moving forward.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead