Valued Contributor

Does anyone here live in North Carolina?

My husband and I are looking for places to retire.  Our families are passed on except for our son who lives in FL.  We know he's not going to stay there indefinitely - we just know we want to move south.  Husband says nay to FL.  We're both considering North Carolina - any opinions?  

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone here live in North Carolina?

[ Edited ]

I think NC would be a lovely place to retire.  If you'll "google" "NC retirement communities" you'll get a lot of information.  I took my parents to visit friends there about 20 years ago and was very impressed with the community where they lived, Hendersonville. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

@tarsmom

My husband and I are originally from downstate NY. We moved to Florida in 2000 for my job. Florida was not for us...too hot for too long and we just never felt at home. We would have liked to have relocated back to NY but it was not cost effective for us plus after 15 years in the warmer climate we were concerned about the winters.

A very good friend of mine introduced us to Western North Carolina and we retired here in 2015.

Now I am not sure if anyplace is perfect but we are very happy here. We get a little winter, a little spring, a little fall and a little summer...Weather is everything we wanted. Cost of living is reasonable (although not the cheapest, I know ) The people here are really welcoming and very friendly. We have no regrets about our decision to retire here. I will be happy to try to answer any specific questions that you may have. HTH!

Reggie

Valued Contributor

We left Boston and moved to the SE coast of NC. We love it. It has wondeful restaurants, shopping and weather. After 22 years here we've never regreted the move. Take a look you'll be surprised.

Honored Contributor

My in-laws live in Hilton Head, SOUTH Carolina. I love it. I'd move there tomorrow if my job could pick up and go with me. The Outer Banks of NC would be a good choice.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

I don't know about retirement places, but my daughter & her family live in NC.  They've been there about 12 years and they LOVE it.  She's 41 and they have lived in Clayton, Garner and now Apex.  She loves NC so much, she would never consider coming back to CT.  Smiley Sad

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

A friend moved from WV to NC (outside the city limits of Raleigh) 32 years ago.   She still hates the sweltering heat of the summers, and the ice storms in the winter.   She wishes they had moved more towards Asheville and Franklin, NC.   

Valued Contributor

Hi Reggie - thanks SO much for being so specific with your reply!  We of course will have to plan a trip there to visit - we've motorcycled the Blue Ridge and the Cherahola Sykway but that's about it.  I can live with a little winter but I can't live with 5 months of cold and clouds (Michigan).  Michigan is fabulous in the spring, summer and fall but as I get older, the dreary cloudy weather just gets to me.  We've only lived in Michigan so it will definitely be an adjustment - it's nice to hear people are friendly in NC - we need good medical too as my hubby has Crohns and a mechanical heart valve.

Thanks again!

Valued Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

A friend moved from WV to NC (outside the city limits of Raleigh) 32 years ago.   She still hates the sweltering heat of the summers, and the ice storms in the winter.   She wishes they had moved more towards Asheville and Franklin, NC.   

Is she saying it's still winter-y where she is?  I know there's no perfect place 

Spoiler
Smiley Wink

Valued Contributor

@Berlybaby wrote:

We left Boston and moved to the SE coast of NC. We love it. It has wondeful restaurants, shopping and weather. After 22 years here we've never regreted the move. Take a look you'll be surprised.

That's so encouraging; thank you for taking time to respond!