Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone here live in North Carolina?

I am originally from Ohio, but living in NC now.  A year ago we moved here.  We live in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains.  NC is a good choice I think.  Its not extremely hot in summers like Florida, but it does get hot.  Spring and fall are beautiful.  Winters are very mild and short compared to what I am used to.  We live near a very small community about 50 miles SE of Ashville.  Its country living at its best.

You did specify what type of retirement home you are looking for.  I do not know anything about living on the coast.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I am originally from Ohio, but living in NC now.  A year ago we moved here.  We live in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains.  NC is a good choice I think.  Its not extremely hot in summers like Florida, but it does get hot.  Spring and fall are beautiful.  Winters are very mild and short compared to what I am used to.  We live near a very small community about 50 miles SE of Ashville.  Its country living at its best.

You did specify what type of retirement home you are looking for.  I do not know anything about living on the coast.

@Imaoldhippie   what town are you in? you didn't mention.

QVC Customer Care

Valued Contributor

You're very welcome.

Valued Contributor

I second the vote for Hendersonville.  A friend was wanting to move to Asheville.  While Asheville is beautiful, the weather can be brutal in the winter and snow removal and ice is not the best in Asheville.  I insisted he check out Hendersonville.  He did, moved there, and he and his wife love Hendersonville.

Honored Contributor

@tarsmom wrote:

My husband and I are looking for places to retire.  Our families are passed on except for our son who lives in FL.  We know he's not going to stay there indefinitely - we just know we want to move south.  Husband says nay to FL.  We're both considering North Carolina - any opinions?  

Thanks!

@tarsmom. I've lived in NC for most of my life...moved from NY w/ my family at 3 yrs. old.

NC is very quickly becoming a popular place to retire. Drive to the mountains in 4 1/2 hrs. and to the beach in 3 hrs. if live in central NC. Mountain areas of Asheville very popular and worth googling. Beach communities kind of "dead" in winter w/ some restaurants closed & businesses seasonal, but wonderful if you enjoy a few months of peace & quiet. Southern Pines and Pinehurst are golfing cities!!!  Most popular areas seem to be what's called Triangle Area: Raleigh Durham Chapel Hill....Beautiful atmosphere, many universities (Duke, UNC, NC State) provide culture, best hospitals and medical care, small town living in Chapel Hill (college town) or more cosmopolitan in Raleigh, the capital. Cary (up and coming area near Raleigh) is a little too  crowded for my taste. Durham has Duke, great restaurants and some nice areas to live and many areas subject to crime. 

Definitely come visit and check out the state. All cities in Triangle Area boast retirement communities, lots of condo and apartment possibilities because of the huge #s of students, professors and physicians w/ families. 

Keep in mind this is no longer "tobacco country". Many people are transplants from all over the country (maybe more than 75%) because of the hospitals and universities. 

There is also the Research Triangle which houses large drug companies and other industry. This also brought folks from all over U.S.

Should I inquire for an opening w/ NC tourist bureau?

Respected Contributor

We lived in Greensboro for four years  and in Charlotte for two. I have to say we weren't too thrilled with Charlotte, but we loved everything about Greensboro.  The climate was wonderful - maybe a week or two in the summer when the heat was intense, but that's true everywhere we've lived.  Just north enough to have a bit of snow in the winter. Nice people, good schools, excellent medical care.  About two hours to the coast or west to the mountains.  

If I had a choice today I might consider moving back to Greensboro, or we might well go to Hendersonville. Wonderful, smaller area in the mountains -  gorgeous scenery all year round, and we also liked the climate and people there.

Good luck with your plans and future moves.

Valued Contributor

I live in a beach community in SE North Carolina. Nothing shuts down. It's a vibrant area all year long.

Esteemed Contributor

Grandparents/parents from Hendersonville area and Western NC. Spent summers in NC. I would suggest Hendersonville over Asheville as well. Asheville can always be a wonderful weekend getaway. Love the geography of NC -- mountains, streams, waterfalls, coastlines. Friend's son/dil recently moved to Raleigh-Durham area. One is a professor and the other a doctor who love nature. Moved from Miami and love NC.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau