Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone here drive in the UK and America?

I live off of "Dead Man's Curve".....don't need any more excitement

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

I have driven an American set up car in Britain and it feels weird.  It also felt weird just crossing the street because although I would look both ways I wouldn't really SEE both ways.  As I recall, Holland was the same way ( who knows about now).  Other than driving on the other side of the road, I lived in the rural area of S.Korea for five years and I'm so glad I didn't drive there.  The elderly were still getting getting used to motorized vehicles and believed if they just " made it" across a street that a car/truck could kill their evil spirit shadow.  

Trusted Contributor

My son-in-law is from England..He said it isn't that difficult to adjust to

Jessa
Valued Contributor

I suppose if you were driving an American car in the UK, you might have more difficulty, as the position of the steering wheel would be near the edge/shoulder of the road, as opposed to the center.

As it is, I have never had a problem adjusting, as cars in the UK have the steering wheel on the "other" side.

In both instances, the driver is seated at the position nearest the road's center.

Honored Contributor

@Highlands72 wrote:

I suppose if you were driving an American car in the UK, you might have more difficulty, as the position of the steering wheel would be near the edge/shoulder of the road, as opposed to the center.

As it is, I have never had a problem adjusting, as cars in the UK have the steering wheel on the "other" side.

In both instances, the driver is seated at the position nearest the road's center.

@Highlands72 - That's exactly what I told someone who asked me.  Remember that you, as the driver, are near the center of the road.

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry - I had a hard enough time just crossing the street in the UK. I did not attempt to drive. I made my cousin (a US citizen but living in the UK for 5 years) do all the driving.

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla   I know what you mean,  I grew up in central London never ever needed to drive - DH  always had car for outings at night but our daughters and I always  used public transportations or cabs both of which good and, plentiful in London.

Biggest problem to this day for me is crossing the road here in U.S -  never know which way to look.

When walking with my grandson we look like nodding dolls as we stand at side of road and my head swings back & forth, back & forth he imitates me - glad I do not drive!

Honored Contributor

@dulwich wrote:

@drizzellla   I know what you mean,  I grew up in central London never ever needed to drive - DH  always had car for outings at night but our daughters and I always  used public transportations or cabs both of which good and, plentiful in London.

Biggest problem to this day for me is crossing the road here in U.S -  never know which way to look.

When walking with my grandson we look like nodding dolls as we stand at side of road and my head swings back & forth, back & forth he imitates me - glad I do not drive!

@dulwich 

I remember reading that we almost lost Mr. Churchill that way.  

What a mark he placed on the history of the world.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras