Honored Contributor

Does anyone here drive in the UK and America?

I'm watching House Hunters International and wondering how people can travel back and forth to the UK, drive in both countries, and not wind up in a terrible wreck.  I know I wouldn't be able to do it, but it seems many take it in stride.  Admittedly, I'm not the most courageous driver, but it seems like it would be a challenge for anyone.

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

Re: Does anyone here drive in the UK and America?

I have a hard time driving in that states, therefore I would probably have a wreck the first time I would try and drive in the UK.  Man Surprised

Honored Contributor

You do it the same way you stay in your lane on six and eight lane highways and exit both directions.  Pay attention.  

Some of us went from one-lane dirt roads to highways and interstates and are alive to tell about it!  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

@CoffeeNut 

I drove in NYC for 25 years before moving to Los Angeles for another 20.  LA was scarier than NY because everyone drives so much faster, but nothing prepared me for my recent move to rural North Carolina and the winding backroads. I think I'm pretty comfortable now, but I can't even imagine how I'd cope if I had to drive on the other side of the road.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

My sister in Australia drives when she comes here. She does have to concentrate at times unless she's on a highway.

Honored Contributor

@dulwich   See OP! 🚘

Honored Contributor

@house_cat I have driven all over the country and through lots of cities at rush hour, Atlanta, no sweat, etc.  But the LBJ freeway through Dallas is the road of death.  Scares me to pieces.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does anyone It's scarhere drive in the UK and America?

It's scary. I had a friend visiting from St. Thomas Virgin Islands and when he went back he cause such a ruckus on the road that the Police had to get involved. He finally got himself together.

When I visit my parents homeland in the Caribbean, I do not drive. They would arrest me lol

Respected Contributor

I think you'd have to not do things without thinking about it or you'd wind up getting into the passenger side of the car or end up driving on the wrong side of the road!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat - Yes, I can drive in both the U.K. and here.  I have a license for both.

I grew up here, married a Brit and moved there for 20 years.  He didn't drive, so I did all of it.  And, yes, occasionally we'd hear about someone coming over from the States who drove on the wrong side with horrible consequences.

The worst thing there, for an inexperienced driver, was the speeds they go on the motorways - forget the speed limit!  And some of the village and country roads are narrow.

But, as my husband always said, I'm a good driver, so I didn't have any problem with it.

(ETA:  I love "House Hunters International"!)