Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone else not have a TV? All my friends think I am crazy!!

I find that I watch less tv than I used to, but I would never be without one, because there are a few shows, that I really like. I do watch Netflix on my tablet, and I enjoy it immensely, especially Chelsea Handler.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

@CLEM wrote:

Growing up in Germany, my father never allowed a TV in the house.  When he died, my sister immediately went and bought one for my mother.  She loved it.  Liked to watch all the nature shows, Columbo (she thought it was a German show), and different sports like tennis, the olympics.

I myself came here to the US when I was 25.  I got my first TV when I was about 30, but it pretty much lived in the closet.  Now that I am retired, I love it.  Watching the Olympics right now.  But don't watch reality shows and most other shows.

I think life is pretty good without a TV though.

I do think I would have enjoyed some of the Olympics.  I managed to see some of the opening ceremony online, however, but not everything was available at least in away that was easy for me to find!!  

Honored Contributor

@JasoninBoston wrote:

@CLEM wrote:

Growing up in Germany, my father never allowed a TV in the house.  When he died, my sister immediately went and bought one for my mother.  She loved it.  Liked to watch all the nature shows, Columbo (she thought it was a German show), and different sports like tennis, the olympics.

I myself came here to the US when I was 25.  I got my first TV when I was about 30, but it pretty much lived in the closet.  Now that I am retired, I love it.  Watching the Olympics right now.  But don't watch reality shows and most other shows.

I do think I would have enjoyed some of the Olympics.  I managed to see some of the opening ceremony online, however, but not everything was available at least in away that was easy for me to find!!  

It is being streamed live nbcolympics.com 

Honored Contributor

Hum, I don't think I know anyone who doesn't have a tv.  I wouldn't give mine up.  

Trusted Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@JasoninBoston wrote:

@CLEM wrote:

It is being streamed live nbcolympics.com 

wow!! thank you so much Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I have one TV, a 32" HD, and watch it, at most, an hour or two per week.  I have it mainly for visiting out-of-town guests.  As for me, there's very little on TV that interests.  PBS sometimes has good programming on its channels and that's where my clicker is parked most of the time.

Trusted Contributor

Although I don't watch a lot of TV, when I'm in the mood and have the time,  I enjoy watching. 

Im not quite sure, why you would choose, not to have one; but, to each their own. 

I really can't imagine being married to someone, who, "wouldn't allow a TV in the house😳Marriage should be a partnership, not a dictatorship👿

Trusted Contributor

@JasoninBoston----------Don't worry, can't find the stuff on TV either.---------tedEbear

Honored Contributor

I have a TV in my bedroom but do not watch much.  I turn it onto the news in the morning while I am getting showered and dressed.  I watch Sunday Morning and 60 Minutes.  I grew up in a family of readers and I am still a reader.  I hate to pay that cable bill!

Honored Contributor

You might try watching PBS.  There are wonderful British mysteries that don't have all the violence we see in most American mystery shows.

And if you don't like fiction, there are so many history shows there, and nature shows, shows about science, etc.  They are excellent at teaching those who watch without lecturing.