Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does Anyone own an E Vehicle?

I'm reading / learning. It should be interesting over the next decade as we see more e vehicles on the road. Gotta do my research. Thank you for sharing your experiences / knowledge. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Valued Contributor

I do have a vehicle that is 100% reliant on battery (not a hybrid). I absolutely love it. As others mentioned, if you do a lot of long distance travel, it takes some planning. In my case, DH has 2 cars that would be driven for long distance, taking mine out of the equation (he has one that's more comfortable and the other is sporty/fun). 

I don't have any regrets with it and truly love it. The hardest thing to get used to is how quiet it is! 

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs    I assume people who drive eVichles want to drive on the same roads we are using now and paying for via gasoline taxes at least in part.  I see no reason every one who wants use of the roads shouldn’t participate in paying for them. 

I do get that someone expecting his vehicle to save him mega dollars might feel his $100 is a lot of money, but he’s paying occasionally what many of us pay into bit by bit every week.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops   I don't disagree but he was not expecting the extra charge.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in Texas. We have a problem with electricity, as you may have recently heard. This is a big state. Many sparsely populated areas and miles of roads. Um....no, I won't purchase an E vehicle.

The Volkswagen e-bus is cute, though!

Honored Contributor

I think there are more issues associated with electric vehicles than we are sometimes led to believe. 

Esteemed Contributor

I've been driving hybrids since 2005 and love them.  The first couple of years I worried that I might have to replace main battery but its never happened even though I've driven those 3 cars a total of 400,000 mi.  That said, I'm not ready to go the plug in route. I live in a rural city and haven't yet seen anyplace to charge it locally.  In addition, we take 20-25 HR car trips over all sorts of areas ( r.t. to pickup and return grands from AZ to CA).  In metro areas obviously there are areas to charge but not so much in desert and mountain areas.  If our President fulfills his promise to "plug" electric vehicles this may change in a couple of years ( then I'll seriously reconsider). 

Trusted Contributor

What is interesting about E Vehicles is that people think they are helping to save the planet by purchasing these vehicles.  In reality there is sooo much more harm creating in mining the materials needed to build the batteries and where do we dispose of the batteries.  They will not last forever.  

I have no desire to purchase an e vehicle they don't have any which fit my needs.

Respected Contributor

I went to Kohl's yesterday, and was surprised to see an area near the store for EV charging while you shop at Kohl's.

Honored Contributor

The thing I wonder about, it runs on electricity.  So unless the electricity is generated by a clean source, doesn't it use more energy to produce, fuel, mine minerals and dispose of than what we are driving now?