Esteemed Contributor

Does Anyone own an E Vehicle?

One of our posters had a Subaru question which made me think about my next vehicle purchase down the road - e vehicle. We'll keep one gas and purchase an e vehicle. My sis-in-law loves her Tesla. In 2023 Volkswagon will have a microbus: volkswagen microbus

I also read where Subaru / Toyota will collaborate on all electric SUV in 2022. I already drive a Subaru. 

Thoughts? 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Re: Does Anyone own an E Vehicle?

I think you would need to drive in a pretty localized area with specific traffic patterns; be able to recharge as needed; be willing to replace and pay for batteries when needed; and take a gamble that this will become popular enough to have resale value in a relatively near time frame; or be in a position where money isn't a concern.

You are banking on the fact that the waste generated from electric vehicles will be manageable to have many of them on the roads; that electricity will be available and charging accessible; and a number of other factors.

If the switch is made to electric cars it poses new problems about generation of enough electric power; how that is generated and distributed; and how the waste from the batteries is handled.  So at this point, all of that is theoretical.  One set of problems to another.  .  .as well as the economic factors. 

Respected Contributor

While snowbirding in FL for two seasons we had hybrid rental cars.  The storage space got taken up by the battery.

Can't imagine how that would impact an all-electric vehicle.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

What Sooner said. It might be a problem with long road trips; are there enough charging stations available? The battery will eventually need replacing, and that is expensive. What to do with the one that was replaced? I don't know of anywhere it could be eliminated safely.  That certainly doesn't help the planet, with dead batteries around. 

If a person can afford such a vehicle, fine. But not going to be investing in one anytime soon, as it's too costly and not convenient (at least for me.)

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I drive a phev (plug-in hybrid electric vehicle).  I drive about 50-60 miles on a charge so I drive on electric for all my normal driving.   

However, when I go on road trips, it switches to a hybrid gas motor.  

Most hotels have charging stations so I juice up overnight and the first hour of driving the next day is on electric.  

This works out perfectly for me.  

I have solar panels so my local driving doesn't cost me a thing.  

(PS .. I drive a Chevy Volt.)

Honored Contributor

@juanitalinda wrote:

I drive a phev (plug-in hybrid electric vehicle).  I drive about 50-60 miles on a charge so I drive on electric for all my normal driving.   

Most hotels have charging stations so I juice up overnight and the first hour of driving the next day is on electric.  

@juanitalinda Have you had to replace batteries?  I am curious how often that really happens and how expensive is.  Do the stores dispose of the batteries?  Is there a surcharge for that?  Just thinkin'!  Woman Happy

Regular Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@juanitalinda wrote:

@juanitalinda Have you had to replace batteries?  I am curious how often that really happens and how expensive is.  Do the stores dispose of the batteries?  Is there a surcharge for that?  Just thinkin'!  Woman Happy

I know your question was to juanitalinda, but my boyfriend once told me he has a friend who had to unexpectedly replace theirs and it cost $3,000!!  Seems on par with the info I found on Google too: 

"Per above, Dealerships charge around $3,000 to $5,000 to replace a Hybrid Drive Battery and typically require additional components to be purchased, including an ECU on certain models. Other suppliers can sell the battery and have it installed at any local repair shop that will do the installation."

Reference:  https://www.transmissionrepaircostguide.com/hybrid-battery-replacement-cost-and-prices/

Super Contributor

@Sooner 

@ Have you had to replace batteries?  I am curious how often that really happens and how expensive is.  Do the stores dispose of the batteries?  Is there a surcharge for that?  Just thinkin'!

I have had the car for 5 years and haven't had to replace the battery.  The warranty is for 8 years or 100,000 miles.   I don't know how much it will cost to replace it when it goes, but I do know that I haven't had an oil change yet.  That's pretty cool.  

Honored Contributor

....and at least for my state a friend has a hybird vehicle.  The cost to renew plates had $100.00 tacked on for road services.

I don't know if that $100.00 was in addition to what he usually pays or if the total bill was $100.00.  He was surprised and very irritated.

Super Contributor

OH yeah ... The tabs are more expensive in WA to compensate for the lost gas tax revenue.