Valued Contributor

Does Anyone Know About Taking Laptop to Apple Store?

I haven't had to do this before so I'm not sure how I feel about having to leave my laptop to be worked on.  Do I have to be concerned about all the personal info I have on my laptop if I have to leave my device for maintenance/repair?  Some of my keys are sticking and since I do my banking and bill paying on line, I'm concerned about someone being able to get my personal information.  Is there something I can do to prevent that?

Honored Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Know About Taking Laptop to Apple Store?

@patticakes 

I am not knowledgable about this stuff at all.  I own an IMac desktop computer, a tablet and Iphone.  I would first call the Apple help line and tell them what your laptop is doing and ask them for assistance.  Tell them what your concerns are and how you should proceed.  In the past, they have been very helpful with my husband and I with our issues.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

Unless you provide your user names and passwords to someone, they can't access your info.  I don't mean to get into your system, but to your bank, etc.  

Also consider how many phones, iPads and iMacs they work on every day.  There would surely be reports of issues if anything like that happens.  

Honored Contributor

Bank account passwords are encrypted.  They can't get your passwords or into your accounts.  They and the bank would be liable.

I would also imagine the technicians are bonded.

Valued Contributor

I am also a Apple product user, phone and computer. If you are using your keychain where automatic name and password pops up into each place you log into, then they may be able to find this. If you have the secondary authentification, where a 6 number code is sent to your phone via text message, you would know someone is looking. I tried to look at my system preferences to see but couldn't figure it out. Do call Apple customer service and have them walk you through this question. 

Esteemed Contributor

Apple just today announced a $50M settlement on sticky keyboards. 

Super Contributor

Maybe they will pay your bills!?

just kidding......

I've left my iPad at Apple store and dh's HP at staples.

nothing bad happened nor did they pay my bills👀

Honored Contributor

Two months ago, my friend had her battery replaced on her phone through Apple. She called them and they arranged for her phone to be picked up at her home, fixed and then returned. She was thrilled she didn't have to take it in herself anymore. They gave her instructions about the things she needed to do for securing the phone. Call Apple and find out about this program. 

Honored Contributor

Be sure to make an appointment. They can do a lot while you're there and you might not have to leave it. 

Honored Contributor

We have an apple store in our mall. We also had a very knowledgable store front that sold and worked on Apple products.  I purchased all my apple products from them...several desk tops, I Macs, etc.

They were in business for years...they recently closed up because Apple just kept choking them out.  They could no longer run their business in a profitable manner...I do not know all the particulars but first they quit selling apple products, so the did service and repair...they really knew their stuff.  About 2 months they closed their doors...Apple forced them out as they wanted all the business to use the store in the mall.  Those at the genius bar do not always know their stuff.