Respected Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Have Geico or Progressive Car Insurance

It's great to save money on the premiums BUT the real measure is how your claims are handled.

I would like to hear about experiences with auto accident claims.

Regular Contributor

Another vote for GEICO from me.  Significant premium reduction from our prior carrier, Erie Insurance.  Have not had any significant premium increases with GEICO over the 5 or so years we've had their coverage.  Also have homeowner's through GEICO.  Have had both auto and homeowner's claims within the last 3 years.  Claims were handled timely and efficiently, great communication.  Very happy with their service.

Honored Contributor

I've had GEICO for about a year and have no complaints.  I've also had no claims so can't speak to their service.

GEICO's rates are very good.  But my impression is that if you have claims or moving violations, they escalate quickly.  One of the many, many papers I received at the onset of the policy was a big table listing all the things that can go wrong and, based on your age and other factors, the impact on your premium.  Very objective and mathematically-driven, as insurance is; but I've never seen it laid bare like that.

Respected Contributor

I switched to Progressive several years ago and have been with them ever since.  Why did I switch?  I was hit by another car.  The other driver had Progressive.  Their customer service was outstanding.  As soon as my current policy was up, I swithed. 

Luckily, I haven't had to use my insurance with them, and I hope I don't have to.

Trusted Contributor

I had Progressive in the past and all they ever did was jack up my premiums even though I had a stellar driving record.  

So I left them for GEICO and stayed for a long time, but left after my car accident.  GEICO was so wishy washy about defending me and let my case linger for five years so that they could pay out the lowest possible settlement when the other driver's lawyer was trying to get rid of his "nuisance" cases.  The lawyer GEICO appointed was inept and did not keep me informed.  They also tripled my premiums!!!  For a fender bender.

I switched to Allstate.  Couldn't be happier.  They insured me for less than what I was paying GEICO even before the accident, and my rates have gone up neglibly over the years.

Honored Contributor

When I was looking to make a switch from Liberty Mutual the quote I got from Geico seemed too good to be true, it was like 25% of what Liberty Mutual was charging.

I didn't trust it and went with State Farm instead.

Valued Contributor

@granddi wrote:

It's great to save money on the premiums BUT the real measure is how your claims are handled.

I would like to hear about experiences with auto accident claims.

@granddi  I've been rear-ended so many times, I've lost count...minimal damage to over $10K each occurance. These are no fault of mine, so I wasn't  penalized. It stands to reason that if you are causing harm or damage, expect your rates to be raised.

Respected Contributor

I have GEICO and I have had zero problems with them.  I had Allstate prior to GEICO and it kept going up and although I noticed it I was dealing with a very sick father at the time and it was on auto pay and increases easy to overlook.  I switched my car, homeowners and umbrella insurance to GEICO and the cost of all 3 is less than Allstate wanted for just car insurance.  

The Allstate guy called when I cancelled and was angry that I didn't give them a chance to see what they could do.  I gave him my coverage info for all three and asked him to give me a quote and he wasn't even in the ballpark and then started trying to justify the cost differences and wasn't going to let me off the phone so I told him NO and hung up.

Valued Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 @Snowpuppy , I'm glad I'm not the only one here in Michigan feeling the frustration of the insurance laws! 

We have progressive for our boat, the prices are untouchable for it. Our insurance agent (through auto owners) even told us he couldn't come close to the Progressive price for the boat.  We've had no issues with them (but haven't had any claims). 

Respected Contributor

I had AAA forever, then switched to Progressive a few years back: such a better price!