Honored Contributor

I told my ophthalmologist I could read better with cheap readers than I could with the expensive progressive lenses he prescribed.  He said to go ahead and use them.  Nothing wrong with them if they work for you.  So that's what I use.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Go to the Dollar Tree and pick up some different strength readers.  They are $1 each.  See which you like best.

I get these for my husband as he  is constantly breaking or losing them.  He is OK with a 2.50 or 3.00 strength. 

Regular Contributor

Whenever Joy Mangano's readers on HSN go on clearance I always buy a bunch. They are really nice quality.

Trusted Contributor

I have many pairs of 1.25 and 1.5, scattered around the house, lol. 

I switch between the two strengths depending on what I’m doing....reading, sewing, needlework, etc. 

Someone mentioned that 1.25 is little more than window pane glass. Absolutely not true. My 1.25 lenses clear up my vision quite well, for reading. 

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

(thread title)

@RinaRina,

I used to wear trifocals and had several "readers" around the house. I chose a Multi-focal "iol" for my Left Eye in my 1st Cataract Surgery. My 2nd I went with the standard Mono-focal "iol". 

Right after the 1st surgery, I since do not need any glasses, including "readers", even for very small print. That Multi-focal choice, freed me from wearing all glasses.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Still babybecky

I used to buy a few pair of the 1/4  lens readers. They are made specifically to wear down lower on your nose. I liked them for certain things.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Re: Do you wear "readers"?

[ Edited ]

I wear 1.75 now and have about 20 pair that I leave everywhere. I am not a candidate for lasik or contacts so readers it is....I get mine at Costco or anywhere else I can find 1.75....not everyone sells that strength.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you wear "readers"?

[ Edited ]

When I was initially told I needed readers a few years ago, I needed 1.0. They made a big difference.  I was at that strength for a couple of years.

Last year I graduated to 1.5. LOL  I have several pair of readers all over the place.  I have a pair on my desk at work, a pair in my purse and then about 4 or 5 pair at home.  I generally buy them at Walgreens because they are always buy one get 2 free.  I have a suspicion when I got to the eye doctor in April, I'm going to be told I need 1.75.  But I'm not changing without the eye doctor telling me. 

I have bought the cheapy dollar store ones and hate them.  The lenses permanently fog up and are useless and the vision always seems distorted.  I can definitely tell the difference between a dollar store pair and a better pair.

I really liked the Tashon ones QVC sold but they don't appear to carry them anymroe.  I didn't like Joy Mangano's at all.      

Honored Contributor

My husband finally broke down and went for an eye exam for "real" glasses.

He would buy the readers from Dollar Tree and within the week they would be all foggy looking, scratched and bent out of shape.  For a dollar he wasn't very careful with them. 

I hope he takes better care of the prescription ones.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I wear readers - to be able to see to put my multifocal contact lenses in! I also wear them occasionally if I'm not going anywhere for the day and I'm too lazy to put my contacts in. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~