Honored Contributor

Re: Do you wear a regular watch anymore (one that only tells time)

Yes, my husband gave me a 'solar' watch for Christmas.  No need for batteries and keeps great time.

Super Contributor

Wear an Apple watch and it is very useful. I can see my activity level for the day and monitor my heart rate when I exercise. I also can see the temperature and AQI easily. I've had it almost a year and bought an old model to save $. I've had 2 different fitness bands and this is by far the most comfortable and useful. No doubt it is more expensive than some other tools that do this monitoring but I think it is worth saving up for to buy.
Esteemed Contributor

(thread title)  No.

Really never wore one regularly. Worked on machines where rings/watches and other similar things could put your in some serious danger. Took off those things and kept them close by during working hours.

Retired I don't really see much need for a watch, however! If I know there are no clocks in a "time appointment" waiting room? I always wear my wrist monitor, which includes the time.

Now I do wear this wrist monitor whenever I am working out and/or ice skating. I bought it because it is a Chest Heart Rate Monitor.

To me the watch is a secondary accoutrement needed only when not on 1 of my exercise machines, as they are synchronized to the Polar Heart Rate Readout, on my 3 primary cardio machines.

Went with just a basic Polar Model because i am not t interested in anything but my heart rate number. The things like calories burned/steps taken etc. are not something I want or need. 

Had to add commentary to a simple question, yes?

hckynut 🥅🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

I've always worn a watch.  I use my iPhone all the time but don't want to pull it out to see the time when I'm out.

A couple of months ago I bought an Apple Watch and love it!  I've had some health issues lately and liked the fact that it would do a one line ECG and also notify you if your pulse was too high or low.

I also really liked the fact that it would notify your emergency contact and call 911 if it detected you'd had a hard fall.  I've never fallen, but that's always a possibility.  I'm very happy with my new watch.

@NickNack Exactly why I bought one yesterday.  My cardiologist recommended one to warn of AFib.

@Scooby Doo  I think you will love it!

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

I wear a Seiko 5 automatic ("self winding") regular old fashioned analog watch. Two hands, sweep second hand, numbers all around the dial. It does have a tiny window for day & date  but I certainly wouldn't call it multifunction!  Requires no battery or any form of charging. Ordinary movement of the wrist and arm keeps the mechanism going. 

I've been wearing this watch for years and before that something similar. Though I carry my phone, I don't look at it to tell time.  I guess using  a regular wristwatch is my old habit. The only time it's not on my wrist is when I shower or swim. It's a great watch and keeps excellent time. It was under $100 on Amazon and I'd replace it with the same if I had to. 

I do love technology and nifty helpful gizmos, but I resist electronic watches with lots of features and functions, especially those requiring regular recharging. Clever and useful but not worth the charging effort. To me. Just to me. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My two watches are like jewelry to me.

One is 14K white gold and one is a nice thick panther link 14K yellow gold.

Both are analog.

I don't wear one every day, but I do wear them.

I do have a huge (boyfriend?) round watch, but the strap is leather --which I won't wear anymore.

Honored Contributor

Watches used to be a utilitarian accessory ....  with a round face and a black leather strap.  When they started making them into real jewelry, and different types of bracelets, I got a few more.  Mine have sterling silver,  a little bit of gemstones, and a couple Ripka watches.  Plus, a couple more i inherited.   A nice collection .  

Now I have about 10 beautiful watches, and wear one every day.  Well, one needs a battery, but I wear all the others.  

I use my phone to make calls and would never think to look at it for the time when I can just look at my wrist. 

Trusted Contributor

I always wear a watch when I go some where but not really when I'm just staying home. I feel funny when I'm out and don't have it on! I've thought about the new apple watches but it almost seems to complicated for me! 

Super Contributor

I own a bunch of really lovely watches, especially love my automatic movement watches.  However, after cellphones appeared on the scene, I found my self wearing them les and less.  Finally, now I only wear my Apple watch.

Honored Contributor

I like to wear a watch when I go out.  I take it off when I get home unless going to do the laundry across the hall.

kindness is strength