Honored Contributor

Do you think you outgrow friends

Life takes you on different paths at times, agree or disagree.

thanks

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

Re: Do you think you outgrow friends

@I am still oxox  Yes, ITA.  I know some people have had friends for life (mostly the men, I think), but that isn't the case for me.  I feel like my life has been a book with many chapters!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Oh, Yes

And I always outgrew the "friends" from work the fastest.

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox ITA! The first ones to go are extremely casual acquaintances from work.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox wrote:

Life takes you on different paths at times, agree or disagree.

thanks

@I am still oxox  I agree 100%. I think people are always growing and changing. Good friends can and want to adapt and remain close. The others just fall away. I had several friends my age who I’d known for at least 30 years. When I became a grandma first (I had my kids at 24 and 25), suddenly they felt I was “different”...they made me feel self conscious and I kept baby pictures of the Girls to myself and wasn’t comfortable discussing them.

When ALL of us were grandmas and the playing field was even again, I let them know how they had made me feel. Everything’s back to normal now, but it took a lot of lunches for us to talk about what had happened, why it did and that friendship comes first...no matter what.

Honored Contributor

Definitely...if we are committed to growth and evolving throughout our time on earth, you will naturally gravitate towards those who are seeking a similar path.  It is not that you dislike or disrespect those you may have left behind, it is just that you are seeking insights and a deeper level of knowledge which may not be a similar interest to your past friends.

@I am still oxoxI'm wondering why you are asking.  Have you found this to be a recent event in your life. Perhaps you are changing and seeking those with similar interests.

Honored Contributor

I have 2 good friends that I made at work that I'm still close to. The third " friend " is still working and no longer speaks to me. Apparently, she is mad that I retired, sorry, not sorry.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

My three closest friends are all from my former workplaces.  OTOH, two friends that I had from childhood are no longer friends, because of divergent views on some things.They are two friends I knew from elementary school and thought would be friends for life - but sometimes, stuff happens!

There are a lot of friends I've made over the decades that have come and gone, but I enjoyed the friendships while they lasted.

Honored Contributor

I absolutely agree with you, and have been dealing with that to an extent.  

My life has certainly taken a different path since I retired.   I walked away from my job to care for my husband and mother; I knew exactly the road I was about to travel, but my friends have never walked this road and they don’t get it.  

I can’t do last minute lunches, and even tho my calendar is blank for next Tuesday, I can’t promise to meet for an early supper that lasts for hours.  I’m glad one friend has more time for her crafting, and I’m glad another friends husband is well enough to go out of town to visit his siblings, but I am not in a position to be the entertainment when my friends are looking to fill time slot on their calendar.   

Trusted Contributor

ABSOLUTELY !