Respected Contributor

Re: Do you take your dogs to a groomer?

@colliegirls wrote:

Once you start grooming your dogs regularly, you really get used to having a clean soft dog in the house.  Now I feel badly that we didn't get our collies groomed very often that we had when we were younger. When we walk our dogs, everyone comments on the beauty of their coats. It is a huge difference.

Yes, I feel the same way.  It's so nice to have dogs that smell good and look great!  I know my sheltie would look bedraggled if I didn't keep her coat groomed regularly.

Honored Contributor

Only for nail clipping, as I bathe them myself, just today, in fact.

Respected Contributor

I take my 3 Shelties to the most wonderful groomer once a month. They look so pretty and smell so good when I get them back. I pay $135 for all 3.
Honored Contributor

Our Sheltie/Corgie mix goes to the groomer every 6 weeks or so.  She only charges $25 which I think is a good price for cut, wash, blow dry, trim nails, clean ears, etc.  I can't imagine trying to do this ourselves, especially since our dog has lots of long hair. 

Esteemed Contributor

@wilma wrote:

Our Sheltie/Corgie mix goes to the groomer every 6 weeks or so.  She only charges $25 which I think is a good price for cut, wash, blow dry, trim nails, clean ears, etc.  I can't imagine trying to do this ourselves, especially since our dog has lots of long hair. 

Holy Cow, that is a great price!   She is a keeper!

Respected Contributor

Gracie (my avatar) goes every 3 to 4 months.  We don't take her often because she is such a high strung dog and she hates it.  She starts crying as soon as we turn the corner to where I take her. 

It has nothing to do with where I take her because I give her a bath at home in between times and she shakes like a leaf the whole time.  So I don't do that very often either.  Just when I "need" to.

She's a mix breed and looks like a mini ******zu except she's overweight.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I have taken my Brussels Griffon to a groomer twice.  It wasn't worth the stress.  Now I groom her myself,I do it gradually over a few days,stopping when she gets antsy.  She doesn't look as good as a pro would make her but she's clean and happy.  A groomer is nice for some but not for Daisy,she's too high strung. We also have a doxie mix,I just brush her a lot after bath and her nails stay short because her and I walk our neighborhood alot. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Trusted Contributor

We take Alex, our cocker spaniel, to a groomer about every 6 weeks or so for either a bath or grooming. We love the way he smells when he gets home!

We do wash him up once a week, and I use a spray cologne that I get at Petsmart so he isn't a stinky boy!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@colliegirlswrote:

@wilma wrote:

Holy Cow, that is a great price!   She is a keeper!

I agree, what a fantastic price to groom your furbaby.

Trusted Contributor

Absolutely!  Our Old English Sheepdog needs to have that shaggy coat in shape for the health of his skin.  We walk the 2 blocks down to the groomering salon ~ he loves to go (I'm soooo lucky!).

He visits every 5 weeks or so depending on the length of his coat as he gets clipped down 2x a year.  This is our second OES and we've used the same groomer for the last 15 or so years. 

***Not only do they keep him clean, fresh and looking like a champion, but we've had a few occasions when they have found lumps or bumps which they advised should be vet checked ~~~~ Thankfully, no major problems, but I appreciate their knowledge of his body.