Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you take your dogs to a groomer?

Yes, I have a toy poodle rescue, so she absolutely needs to be groomed every 6 weeks or so even though she has a puppy cut. Her hair grows so fast, and she starts looking like Albert Einstein if I don't keep it under control. 

Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Honored Contributor

My wire fox terrier goes every 6-8 weeks...less in the winter (he just gets a wash and blow dry then!).

He gets clipped, unlike his niece Sjy (my avatar), who won Westminster Best in Show last year. Wires in show coat are totally stripped - the fur is removed, leaving their wiry hair. It involves hours of work. To go to a groomer and get it done all at once takes a long time (and is painful, IMO).

Esteemed Contributor

I have a mobile groomer come to the house every four months to shave down my Goldendoodle. He loves it. Gets his nails clipped then, too, as well as that gland expression thing. Gets his nails clipped in the off months at doggie daycare. The only time I have to vacuum up his hair is after a grooming since he is non-shedding and hypoallergenic. After years of golden retrievers, I love not having to deal with all that hair!
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Trusted Contributor

I have a female terrier mix with very coarse, wiry hair so she goes every six or seven weeks for a bath, haircut and nail trim.  She looks beautiful.  We just lost our chocolate lab back in March and they went at the same time to the groomers but he did not need a haircut.  He just got a bath and nail trim.

They were really cute together because she stuck to him like glue and though the lab was 85 lbs. and the terrier is 20 lbs., they let the small dog stay in the room with her big brother.  They have separate rooms for big dogs and small dogs but the terrier stayed with her big brother. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our dogs always developed rigor mortis as they entered the groomers.  We now have a  groomer come to our home.  She has a brand new outfitted Mercedes van.  The whole procedure takes about 80 minutes.  Our dog loves her so isn't stressed out.  She's expensive, but worth every cent.

Trusted Contributor

OP, if your cat has long hair, it may benefit from a groomer.  My MIL has cats and her Maine Coon gets lumpy hair and she used to comb him, which was okay but as he ages, he got more snippy about it.  She decided to have him groomed and he actually loves his lion cut and she says he seems to be happier without all the hair and the groomer said he acts good when he's being clipped. 

Esteemed Contributor

My wife is taking her dog Lily Thursday.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I never take my dogs, only my human friends for a flea dip.

Valued Contributor

We did when we had dogs.  They always acted like they felt so beautiful after grooming.  When they got to be "seniors", we used a mobile grooming service.  It was so much better for them.  At the other places, sometimes it would be 8 hours before they were done and ready to be picked up.  The only problem was, the cost was actually higher than it was to get my own hair done, and I go to an expensive salon.Man Surprised

Esteemed Contributor

Once you start grooming your dogs regularly, you really get used to having a clean soft dog in the house.  Now I feel badly that we didn't get our collies groomed very often that we had when we were younger. When we walk our dogs, everyone comments on the beauty of their coats. It is a huge difference.