Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Do you take your dogs to a groomer?

We do, it helps since the back and hands don't work like they used to. She's sooooo cute!

Regular Contributor

We used to take our wire-haired fox terrier twice a year. The last few times it really stressed him out. Last time they had to muzzle him. I said no more!! So now I just clip him here and tho he doesn't look as professional, he's much happier.
Honored Contributor

@marmot24 wrote:
We used to take our wire-haired fox terrier twice a year. The last few times it really stressed him out. Last time they had to muzzle him. I said no more!! So now I just clip him here and tho he doesn't look as professional, he's much happier.

When I could do my other two dogs I did, and I figured, that since they didn't do "shows" it only mattered how they looked to me. That was when I still physically could do it. He's probably much happier and that matters!

Respected Contributor

I have a rescued Scottie and yes, he goes once a month. Comes home smelling good and looking a lot better. In this horribly hot and muggy weather I get him clipped a bit closer than the norm. NEVER leave his hair long like President had Fala's hair however. This is not the clime for it and it would be a mess. LOL.

They always give him a pretty scarf but I usually remove it before the day's end. Don't think he is much in favor of it but actually he doesn't seem to be upset over wearing it. It just seems like it adds some extra heat all around that fur on his head. He is such a good dog and even the cats love him. He, however, usually looks at them as if to say do not try cuddling with me. Bailey, my old rescued Cocker who I lost three years ago, LOVED cuddling with Miss Blackie.  She too is a rescue as is all in my household, but she is an old lady cat with her own ideas.

Stay cool everyone - miserable here in Sou Cal.

Super Contributor

I sure do! I have a Whippet-JRT mix and I get her groomed probably 3x a year. Her hair doesn't ever get really long except for around her neck and back legs. I do take her every 2-3 weeks to the vet to get her nails trimmed and her rump cleaned. In between her grooming visits, I bathe her every 2 weeks  in Wen. It keeps her coat cleaner and whiter. Plus she is so soft!

Esteemed Contributor

I have 2 Maltese that look so white and pretty when they come home. They are high maintenance dogs, but worth every penny!!

Honored Contributor

Yes, I take my 10lb. morkie to the groomers every three months.  In between, I bath & brush her myself.  The groomer is fantastic!  They wash her, clean her ears, and file her nails with a dremel tool (not clip).  Once she got a split nail from clipping, and her vet suggested filing from then on, as long as the filing doesn't stress her.  It doesn't at all.  I brush her teeth myself because I actually love to do it.  She is SO funny when I brush her teeth that I end up laughing all through the process!  She loves the extra "play time," not realizing she's having a dental check-up.

Frequent Contributor

Our two go about every 3 months, give or take abit. Our elkhound has so much fur and they help keep her fur manageable during shedding season. Our little shorkie looks so nice after her groom with a cute bow on. Have great gals who pamper them.
Super Contributor

I take my French Bulldog to the groomer about every eight weeks.  She's so easy to bathe, but I have arthritis in my back and it's hard for me to bend over the tub to bathe her.  She really enjoys her outings, and I don't think she minds going at all.  

NickNack1
(formerly NickNack)
Honored Contributor

We take our one year old cairn terrier to a professional groomer.  He was just stripped for the first time in May.  He'll go back in about 4 months for grooming.  He also is groomed often at home; he loves it!!!  Heart

We groom our 10 year old keeshond at home.  She is arthritic and does not enjoy an outside groomer anymore.  Thankfully, we have a walk in shower that works great for bathing a dog.  Heart

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~