Respected Contributor

Re: Do you still use a Landline Phone?

Yes. We get more robo calls on our cell phones than we do on our landline. 

Plus we people call me from their cell phones, their conversations are always breaking up.

I use my cell for texting more than anything.

Respected Contributor

The only reason why I have one is because when I had my Internet turned on they had a special including the phone. Once that special expire this September "Off" the phone goes.

Honored Contributor

Yes, and we have no intention of getting rid of our landline. Our cell phones are for designated personal use only, and we intend to keep it that way.
Respected Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@HiLo wrote:

I talked to a relative just last night who works for our local phone co. and he said his company will be phasing out all land lines in the near future.  This is bad news for me.

@HiLo

I heard something like that three years ago.  What I was told was that phone companies were not going to install any more new land line wire.  I sure hope they continue to service them. Though I know it is more expensive for them to do so now.

I can't even get a battery back up for our VOIP phone modem, so what good does Comcast do me when their system is down or the power is at.  

I hope you are right and I'm wrong because I would never willingly give up my landline.

Honored Contributor

We use our landline all the time.  We are not cell phone people.  Only use them for emergencies.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

@JYWilliams , our ‘deal’ included home phone also.  We declined the phone.   Love cell only.  No more answering the phone for calls for someone else.  Dramatic decline in telemarketing calls.  LM

Respected Contributor

@Twins Mom wrote:
Yes, have landline and won’t get rid of it. Use answering machine to screen. It’s the number I give out to stores, etc. I think it keeps spam calls away from mobile phone.
Secondly, good emergency number.

It was part of a triple play deal and ^this is exactly what I do.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Healthwise landline phones are much safer. If you are on the phone talking for long periods of time with receiver pressed to your skull, you are exposed to stronger magnetic waves on a cell phone than on a landline. It’s been proven by medical studies that it’s not healthy to have cell phones pressed to your head for long periods of time, especially for young forming brains. I use a cell phone when I’m out and about for brief calls, and my landline to talk for long periods.

Respected Contributor

I do since it comes with the cable package.  I dont use it often. I do not answer it unless it is someone that I know and all the others calls go straight to voicemail, a message is rarely left from those calls.

Esteemed Contributor

I love my IPhone - I use it all the time.  But I will never be without a landline, for several reasons:

1)  I've lived thru several disasters (9/11, storms, blackouts, etc) when cell phones were useless, and my landline still worked.   I have friends who were trapped in their home during Hurricane Sandy, and would not have been found for days if they didn't have a landline.  It's been my only link to the outside world many times during scary situations.

2)  Cost is not an issue.  It's part of my cable/internet package, and it would cost me more if I got rid of it.

3)  I have Nomorobo, so I'm never bothered by unwanted calls.

I don't give out that phone number anymore because I'm more reachable on my cell phone.  But I use my landline sometimes, and I like the peace of mind that comes with knowing I have it in case I need it.