Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you still use a Landline Phone?

I live in the country in a "dead zone" and don't get cell service so must have a landline.

Respected Contributor

I talked to a relative just last night who works for our local phone co. and he said his company will be phasing out all land lines in the near future.  This is bad news for me.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina 

I still have a land line.  Don't know what part of country you live in, and some areas have severe weather conditions, but when power is lost for long periods of time how would you charge your cell, other than charging in car & draining your battery?  This is reason I keep land line.  In winter we have Nor'easters, basically a winter hurricane, and we get high winds of 60+ mph, heavy snow, sometimes 2-3 feet plus the drifts, and loss of power.  And five years ago we were hit with a tornado & lost power for a day.  In all the years of episodes of losing power, we never lost land line phone service.  Granted only my base phone works because it is not electric and it connects directly to phone line, the cordless system & it's extensions all around the house will not work because it's electric, at least I have phone service.  So this is one reason I keep land line service.  The other is that I don't want all calls from businesses, appointments, and other services going to my cell.  Any number I do not know or not sure of comes up on caller ID and I ignore & let it go to answering machine.  

Esteemed Contributor

@RinaRina :  Disconnected ours last year, saving $52 monthly.  The only downside is we now use UPS to fax (20 pages total last year).

Esteemed Contributor

YES

Respected Contributor

Yes, and we use it! We each have cell phones but I still like my landline. I don't understand how people can conduct business without one. For instance, I'm having a problem with my passort. (Well, Philadelphia passport agency lost it and dh's.) Just this morning I gave their call center my landline number to call me. The lady asked for my cell. I said, How will I conduct business if I'm at the doctor or dentist or grocery shopping? I don't carry all these papers around with me. I hate it when someone calls my cell if I'm out. Everyone knows to only call my cell for emergencies. If I'm home, have time and want to talk, I will answer my landline. Now texting and social media is another story!Woman Happy

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

@jlkz
Oh yes I do get Robo calls on cell but just not nearly as many.
Interesting experience when I recently was in another city and received a local call from there. Since I was concerned about relatives in area I answered. It was one of those credit card calls! They were tracking me! The nerve!
Respected Contributor

We had our landline phone disconnected two months ago actually. In hindsight I may have been better off keeping it and dropping the cellphone.  My Verizon wireless has not been a reliable phone source currently from my home.  Lesson learned.................Can you hear me now???????????????SO FRUSTRATING

Valued Contributor

I live in the country, too, and need the landline.

I frequently get "Emergency Calls Only", "No Service", etc. on my cell.

Honored Contributor

@Scorpio1971 wrote:

@RinaRina 

I still have a land line.  Don't know what part of country you live in, and some areas have severe weather conditions, but when power is lost for long periods of time how would you charge your cell, other than charging in car & draining your battery?  This is reason I keep land line.  In winter we have Nor'easters, basically a winter hurricane, and we get high winds of 60+ mph, heavy snow, sometimes 2-3 feet plus the drifts, and loss of power.  And five years ago we were hit with a tornado & lost power for a day.  In all the years of episodes of losing power, we never lost land line phone service.  Granted only my base phone works because it is not electric and it connects directly to phone line, the cordless system & it's extensions all around the house will not work because it's electric, at least I have phone service.  So this is one reason I keep land line service.  The other is that I don't want all calls from businesses, appointments, and other services going to my cell.  Any number I do not know or not sure of comes up on caller ID and I ignore & let it go to answering machine.  

After a few (I think it was five or seven) days of having land line service following a major storm (big hurricane, no power for weeks and weeks) all our land lines finally went down. It could have been Hurricane Andrew. I do remember being so surprised our phone worked. 100,000 people lost their homes in Andrew.