Regular Contributor

Do you remove your wedding ring while cooking and cleaning?

I am one of those women who removes all jewelry upon coming home. I have done so since I was a teenager. I did attempt to leave my wedding ring on when I first got married 30 years ago. I had never seen my mother take hers off, but wearing rings really bothered me especially while cooking. That being said, I do wear a ring when going out except during peak flu season. When teaching I wash/ sanitize my hand a number of
times a day. A few years back I lost my wedding band at school and luckily the custodian found it while cleaning up,the room. Thus I go ringless during this time. I guess I could put my band on a chain as I have no problem keeping a small cross on 24/7. Thoughts? Am I being disrespectful?
Respected Contributor

Re: Do you remove your wedding ring while cooking and cleaning?

ALL jewelry comes off as soon as I walk in the house, and that includes my wedding ring. While I don't feel "dressed" out in public without it, I hate having it on at home.

I don't think you're being disrespectful at all...lots ot people can't wear rings at work for various reasons. I've always said that I am "so" married, that people can tell even when I don't have my ring on, lol! Plus, my wedding ring doesn't really look "traditional" at all. Twenty years ago, I had my wedding band and engagement ring melted down and made into one ring---and added a few small diamonds from yet another ring. But, to me, it IS my wedding ring.

Honored Contributor

I think it's your choice.  If it bothers your husband, that might be something that has to be worked out but if he's a reasonable, adult, person, then it shouldn't bother him. 

I hardly ever even wear mine anymore, unless we go out somewhere together and I wear it.  My husband, conversely, never takes his off.  But it doesn't bother him that I don't wear mine most of the time.  He knows I've had arthritis for many years now and that causes me extreme discomfort and swelling.  Plus the diamond in the engagement ring part sits up pretty high and would cause other problems.

Moral of the story - I think that whatever works for YOU is what is ok.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Only when I make bread, that's all.

Honored Contributor

the only jewerly i wear 24/7 is my small silver wedding band.  i don't wear my diamond (haven't worn this in years). 

i can wash my hands, sanitize my hands and what ever else and the band has remained in great shape.

this is not my main wedding band i got 45 yrs ago, that band fractured quite a few yrs ago and the band i have now doesn't match my diamond exactly but is close enough for me.

Honored Contributor

The only time I remove my wedding rings is to clean them with jewelry cleaner.  Otherwise, my wedding band, engagement ring and anniversary ring are always on my finger.  Heart

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Esteemed Contributor

I take mine off at home when cooking...gardening and cleaning. I snagged my ring on a towel and didn't realize it broke a prong off.....I almost lost my diamond....so I am careful now.

Honored Contributor

I I almost lost my diamond years ago when it came off the ring and fell into the grass but by a pure miracle we found it. Now I only wear my engagement ring when I get dressed up. My wedding band is very narrow plain gold band and I never take it off.

Honored Contributor

I very rarely wear even a wedding band in the house. 

I have about 4 bands of different widths and both in yellow and white gold. 

But I find them bothersome to keep on.

I always slip one on if I'm heading to the store, I feel naked without it.

Only wear the diamonds when the mood strikes me and that could be just running in for a few groceries.  Sometimes it's to offset how not dressed up I am.  I actually have one in the cup holder of my car for in case I forgot to put one on. 

I never wear my diamond or other rings and bracelets around the grandchildren as I'm afraid I'll scratch them.

DH never takes his off.

Trusted Contributor

You know why you're taking the ring off at times, so I wouldn't worry about being "disrespectful".  Many of us remove our wedding jewelry when we sleep, when we swim, when we're doing messy or potentially jewelry-damaging tasks around the house and yard.  It's a matter of personal comfort and preference, and you should do what works for you.  I am not likely to forget that I'm married whether I'm wearing a wedding ring at the moment or not!