Respected Contributor

Do you remember paper dolls?

I can see me sitting on my back porch in Chicago and cutting out the paper dolls and their clothes.  I loved playing with them and have those good memories of when I was a child.

Valued Contributor

Re: Do you remember paper dolls?

Yes!  My sister and I used to go to the neighbors to play with them.   We had several kinds.  I wish I still had them to look at to bring back those memories.

I assume we just stopped playing with them one day and left them there.

I believe we had the Quints and a Ballerina of some sort.  Probably Shirley Temple.

Good times.

Esteemed Contributor

Loved my paper dolls.....tried to be gentle....wish they would have lasted longer!!  Good memories also..

Trusted Contributor

I remember going to the corner store on Sundays.  My cousins would come to visit and we'd always buy paper dolls and penny candy.  15 cents went pretty far back then, lol.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

I was mostly a tomboy but paper dolls were so much fun.  We even made our own from catalobs.  My mother got Aldens and Sears catalogs and my sister got one and I got the other after they were no good and had boxes of paper dolls cut out from them.  It was a major coo to find whole figures and clothes that were basically the same shape as the way one was standing.  I also loved Betsy McCall from McCall magazine.  We also used to design our own clothes for them.  Fun times! 

Contributor

Yes. I can still remember how I sneaked out from home to buy these dolls. I had so much dolls back then when I was still in preschool and my mom didnt love it. LOL. Its such a wonderful thing to reminisce about this childhood stuff. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Oh, my goodness -- how I loved paper dolls!  They were my favorite thing.  I had tons and tons of them.  Every imaginable kind.  I had a lot of ones from stars like the Lennon Sisters, Debbie Reynolds, Patty Duke, Doris Day, Elizabeth Taylor, etc.  Then there were the bride ones, baby dolls, models, etc.  I probably had 100 sets!  It was fun cutting them out and I tried so hard not to get any of them bent or lose any of the pieces.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

I was mostly a tomboy but paper dolls were so much fun.  We even made our own from catalobs.  My mother got Aldens and Sears catalogs and my sister got one and I got the other after they were no good and had boxes of paper dolls cut out from them.  It was a major coo to find whole figures and clothes that were basically the same shape as the way one was standing.  I also loved Betsy McCall from McCall magazine.  We also used to design our own clothes for them.  Fun times! 

@Pook

Same here! I begged for all the catalogs and cut out my own paper dolls, as well as making sort of scenes with them.  Pasting some of them into paper and gluing on items from magazines, too.  And the neighbor would save me her McCall magazinesfor the Betsy McCall dolls!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Had boxes and boxes of them and dressed them elegantly everyday.  I thought they were my family.

Esteemed Contributor

I loved my Betsy McCall paper dolls!