Honored Contributor

Re: Do you "drop in" on your grown children?

Neither of my daughters live close enough to drop by-one lives an hour away and the other close to 2 hours..

But if they did live close by-I would still call first...Thats just the way I am, the only person I ever felt comfortable just dropping in on is my mom of course, and my oldest sister....She always had an Open Door Policy...

Other than that I am a firm believer is giving a quick phone call first-you never know waht is going on and if they are busy or have other company, etc....

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 

Thank you especially for the comedy recommendation. We are always looking for stand up comedy that isn't raunchy.  It's hard to find.

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

My parents and I lived just a few blocks apart and we never just dropped in unanounced. I consider just dropping in, rude.  Whatever works in familes or friends is OK with me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat I have rarely just dropped in on my kids. We are fine with them and our adult grandchildren just dropping in. Usually they call but not always and that's ok with me. It's not all that often now that the grandkids are married and having families of their own.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't have children/grandchildren so I am not qualified to answer this question...but I'm am intrigued by many of the answers given. 

While we can be a product of our environment, you would never know I was raised in a home much like Grand Central Station. The door was always wide open to anyone and everyone, either from here or abroad, to drop in for anywhere from an hour or two to hospitable room and board for weeks on end.

But times have changed. While my house is always presentable and it is a rare occasion that I am not showered with hair and makeup done, I still don't want drive-by company. And I don't really understand how a quick call/text makes it any better. If I choose to have company I extend an invitation.

This reminds me of a Saturday years ago when I was expecting company for dinner. I was much more ambitious back then and had created a very complicated menu new to me. 

That afternoon while cleaning house a family member and her two very young children "dropped by" for a visit. It threw me off my game and to be honest I was seething inside.

But as I said, times change, circumstances change and logistics change. Now we often socialize outside of homes--at new restaurants, fun happy hours, live theater productions, etc.

@house_cat   I'm am sure you will do anything to see your new grandbaby. I have a much younger sister who had two children 1 1/2 years apart. From the time they were babies, I often asked if they could stay with us for the weekend giving us a chance to bond with them and giving their parents a much needed break. Win-win for all!

Honored Contributor

yes, i drop in on my adult children and they drop in on me.

i drop in on my adult mom and she drops in on me.

the kids drop in on their grandmother and she drops in on them.

we all have keys to each others homes and garage door openers and codes to get into the garage.

that is how we roll.

if anyone is busy, then we are honest with each other.

it works for us......

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein