Respected Contributor

I live in Kentucky.

Honored Contributor

I live in NC on the side of a Blue Ridge foothill.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

I live ON a lake IN (name of state). My brother lives ON an island.

Honored Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

I live ON a lake IN (name of state). My brother lives ON an island.

@libbyannE.  Hey, so does my sister(lives on an island)!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you live IN or ON?

[ Edited ]

@house_cat wrote:

You're right!  I grew up in Queens, which is on Long Island, but most people don't think of it that way.  BTW, it's pronounced "Lon Gisland".

I now live on the west coast,  in the south west.

One thing I noticed when I moved here 20 years ago, was that if you say to a non-NYer that you were waiting "on line", they would think you were talking about the Internet, and not the grocery checkout.  I quickly learned to say waiting "in line", to avoid the confused looks I would get, lol.

AM I MAKING ANY SENSE?!  😜

@house_cat...When growing up I lived IN Queens and we had a summer house ON Long Island.  When I moved to CA I lived IN the San Fernando Valley.  I still say ON line.   While in CA, I learned to say horse instead of hawse and Linda instead of Linder.  After 54 years on the West Coast I lost most of my NY accent, as I said MOST, people still ask me where on the East Coast I lived.  Woman LOL

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

When I lived in NYC I lived in Brooklyn and staten Island. I live in Jersey now .. In Freehold.

Esteemed Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

I live IN the state of Hawaii, ON the island of O’ahu, IN the city of Haleiwa.

Good morning surferwife I visited your lovely state back in 2013 we have friends in Helo [hope I am spelling that right]  Hawaii is beautiful we are going back for a visit in the winter of this year and can not wait. This time I want to see other parts of the island can you recommend any. we will be going back to Helo as well. TIA.

Esteemed Contributor

@LdyBugz wrote:

After reading some of the replies, I live IN the state of confusion.  🤔

Well put! [what are you confused about?]Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma 

When I started teaching out here 18 years ago, the kids got such a kick out of my accent.  They called me "My Cousin Vinny", lol.  Being compared with Marisa Tomei did not hurt my feelings one bit, but I noticed within a couple of years, people stopped asking me where I was from.  I suppose that being a teacher and speaking publicly all the time caused me to conform more readily. My DH still has his NY accent after 20 years. Whenever he orders cawfee he always gets a giggle from the waitresses. Also, some of us pick up accents easily. When we visit his Kentucky family, I always come away sounding like them. 

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Do you live IN or ON?

[ Edited ]

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@ALRATIBA  I’m from Brooklyn.Brooklyn & Queens are not part of Long Island.They are part of the 5 boros that make up the city.Brooklyn ,Queens, Manhattan, Staten Island & the Bronx.

Nassau & Suffolk are the only counties that make up Long Island.

If you don't think that B&Q are on Long Island, try getting there from mainland NY or NJ without using a bridge or tunnel. 

✈️ 🚁🛶 🏊‍♀️ 

~ house cat ~