Honored Contributor

I live in denial.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you live IN or ON?

[ Edited ]

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@NicksmomESQ 

See below ....

Long Island is a densely populated island off the East Coast of the United States, beginning at New York Harbor approximately 0.35 miles from Manhattan Island and extending eastward into the Atlantic Ocean. The island comprises four counties in the U.S. state of New York. Kings and Queens Counties and Nassau County share the western third of the island, while Suffolk County occupies the eastern two-thirds. More than half of New York City's residents now live on Long Island, in Brooklyn and Queens. However, many people in the New York metropolitan area colloquially use the term Long Island to refer exclusively to Nassau and Suffolk Counties, which are mainly suburban in character, conversely employing the term the City to mean Manhattan alone.

@ALRATIBA  I was born & raised in Brooklyn. I don’t care what you’re quoting . Brooklyn & Queens are part of the city not Long Island. Their residents vote for NYC mayor not County Executive for Nassau or Suffolk Counties. Brooklyn & Queens are policed by the NYPD not Nassau or Suffolk police.They pay their taxes to the CNY too.

Esteemed Contributor

Hahahaha @ALRATIBA , I thoroughly enjoyed reading your opening post!

I live IN Philadelphia.  

Valued Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@NicksmomESQ 

See below ....

Long Island is a densely populated island off the East Coast of the United States, beginning at New York Harbor approximately 0.35 miles from Manhattan Island and extending eastward into the Atlantic Ocean. The island comprises four counties in the U.S. state of New York. Kings and Queens Counties and Nassau County share the western third of the island, while Suffolk County occupies the eastern two-thirds. More than half of New York City's residents now live on Long Island, in Brooklyn and Queens. However, many people in the New York metropolitan area colloquially use the term Long Island to refer exclusively to Nassau and Suffolk Counties, which are mainly suburban in character, conversely employing the term the City to mean Manhattan alone.

@ALRATIBA  I was born & raised in Brooklyn. I don’t care what you’re quoting . Brooklyn & Queens are part of the city not Long Island. Their residents vote for NYC mayor not County Executive for Nassau or Suffolk Counties. Brooklyn & Queens are policed by the NYPD not Nassau or Suffolk police.They pay their taxes to the CNY too.

Nick's Mom:  Now I'm totally confused.  I was born in Brooklyn and raised in Queens.  I never gave it a second thought that Brooklyn and Queens are 2 of the 5 boroughs of New York City.  My parents paid New York City taxes and voted for the Mayor of New York City.  And yes, our police were and still are NYPD.  docsgirl

Trusted Contributor

Hanging out in the Chicago burbs, but used to live in Chicago on the Northwest Side.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@docsgirl wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

When I was writing something this morning ... it occurred to me that some of us live IN somewhere and some of us live ON somewhere.

My sister lives ON Long Island.  My brother lives IN WV.  A friend is spending the summer ON Cape Cod. 

Another friend lives IN Dongan Hills ON Staten Island.  Another also lives ON Staten Island, but ON Todd Hill.  

Funny about Long Island.  There are four counties there.  Nassau, Suffolk, Brooklyn and Queens.  

People in Brooklyn and Queens never say that they live ON Long Island.  They simply stay that they live IN Brooklyn or IN Queens.  I was born IN and grew up IN Queens.  When our house IN Queens was sold, my parents moved out to Long Island!

I now live ON an Island, but we say we live IN Manhattan, not ON Manhattan.  

So ... do you live IN or ON?

As a New Yorker, I'm sure you know that New York City is comprised of 5 boroughs: Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island.  Brooklyn and Queens are NOT counties on Long Island.  Nassau and Suffolk are the two counties on Long Island.

People in Brooklyn and Queens would never say they live on Long Island because  they don't.  They live in New York City.  Once you cross City Line, which to my recollection is at Lake Success, you are then in Nassau County on Long Island.

I was born in Brooklyn. When I was 3 my parents purchased our home in Queens.  Brooklyn and Queens are part of New York City.  When I got married, we built our house in Suffolk County which is on Long Island.

I hope my post clarifies things. I currently reside in Ohio and am desperately homesick for New York City and Long Island.    docsgirl

I was just about to say the same thing.  I grew up on Long Island.  Long Island has two counties:  Nassau and Suffolk.   NYC is comprised of five boroughs, and Queens & Brooklyn are two of those boroughs.  They are part of NYC.  Long Island is not.

My parents were born IN Queens.  I grew up ON Long Island.  And that's always made perfect sense to me.  :-)

Honored Contributor

And speaking of the five boroughs, why is it ‘The’ Bronx? Anyone know?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I don't remember exactly, but it has something to do with it being named after a river - some version of  "Bronx".  So it's The Bronx in the same way that the Mississippi River might be called The Mississippi.

Or something like that!  It's been a long time since I've thought about it!  :-)

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Named after a family. The Broncks.

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone.