Esteemed Contributor

I guess we're "in". In a state.  In a place in a county.

@SurferWife I lived on Sunset Beach (directly waterfront) in the late '60s - very close to three tables and near a delightful bay I can't remember the name of (friends lived in a house overlooking it).  Kam Highway and all that.  You rounded a curve at this bay.  Our mailing address was Haleiwa.  Fresh caught tuna was .50/lb.  Sashimi every night.

I wish I had some li hing mui seeds right now - the dry kind.

@ALRATIBA - my next door neighbor is from Staten Island.  She's mentioned Todd Hill before.  Down the street is a guy from the Bronx.  I guess he's a "the" (or is it "da")?

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

I guess we're "in". In a state.  In a place in a county.

@SurferWife I lived on Sunset Beach (directly waterfront) in the late '60s - very close to three tables and near a delightful bay I can't remember the name of (friends lived in a house overlooking it).  Kam Highway and all that.  You rounded a curve at this bay.  Our mailing address was Haleiwa.  Fresh caught tuna was .50/lb.  Sashimi every night.

I wish I had some li hing mui seeds right now - the dry kind.

@Sweetbay magnolia 

We actually do live AT Sunset Beach (Sunset Point to be exact; Backyards surf break).  We live beachfront, too, but one thing I can tell you is my happy butt is indoors in the AC today!  I know we are not getting a heat wave like the rest of the country but it is in the 90s & that is HOT for us.  There is no way I’m going to bake in today’s sun.  My little dog even refuses to walk to the mailbox with me. 

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

Re: Do you live IN or ON?

[ Edited ]

@docsgirl 

Queens and Brooklyn are boroughs of NYC ... but they are also counties and physically located on the strip of land called Long Island.

There's a Queens County Courhouse, Queens County Clerk, etc., etc.

Brooklyn has a Kings County Clerk,  Kings County Courthouse, etc, etc.

From google  ....

Long Island is a densely populated island off the East Coast of the United States, beginning at New York Harbor approximately 0.35 miles from Manhattan Island and extending eastward into the Atlantic Ocean. The island comprises four counties in the U.S. state of New York. Kings and Queens Counties and Nassau County share the western third of the island, while Suffolk County occupies the eastern two-thirds. More than half of New York City's residents now live on Long Island, in Brooklyn and Queens. However, many people in the New York metropolitan area colloquially use the term Long Island to refer exclusively to Nassau and Suffolk Counties, which are mainly suburban in character, conversely employing the term the City to mean Manhattan alone.

Frequent Contributor

@ALRATIBA 

I live in California and on the San Andrreas FaultSmiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA  I’m from Brooklyn.Brooklyn & Queens are not part of Long Island.They are part of the 5 boros that make up the city.Brooklyn ,Queens, Manhattan, Staten Island & the Bronx.

Nassau & Suffolk are the only counties that make up Long Island.

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ 

See below ....

Long Island is a densely populated island off the East Coast of the United States, beginning at New York Harbor approximately 0.35 miles from Manhattan Island and extending eastward into the Atlantic Ocean. The island comprises four counties in the U.S. state of New York. Kings and Queens Counties and Nassau County share the western third of the island, while Suffolk County occupies the eastern two-thirds. More than half of New York City's residents now live on Long Island, in Brooklyn and Queens. However, many people in the New York metropolitan area colloquially use the term Long Island to refer exclusively to Nassau and Suffolk Counties, which are mainly suburban in character, conversely employing the term the City to mean Manhattan alone.

Esteemed Contributor

@NicksmomESQ Thank you for that clarification.  Thought I had to go back to school in Sept to re-learn Brooklyn and Queens after reading some of the postings.  Sitting here saying.........What?   Don't understand the reason for all the mis-information - but thanks again. 

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like it's an "island" thing....! Those of us who live IN the Midwest don't have many islands to worry about living ON!

Esteemed Contributor

I live on Panera salads.  

I live in the AC in this heat.