Honored Contributor

Do you live IN or ON?

[ Edited ]

When I was writing something this morning ... it occurred to me that some of us live IN somewhere and some of us live ON somewhere.

My sister lives ON Long Island.  My brother lives IN WV.  A friend is spending the summer ON Cape Cod. 

Another friend lives IN Dongan Hills ON Staten Island.  Another also lives ON Staten Island, but ON Todd Hill.  

Funny about Long Island.  There are four counties there.  Nassau, Suffolk, Brooklyn and Queens.  

People in Brooklyn and Queens never say that they live ON Long Island.  They simply stay that they live IN Brooklyn or IN Queens.  I was born IN and grew up IN Queens.  When our house IN Queens was sold, my parents moved out to Long Island!

I now live ON an Island, but we say we live IN Manhattan, not ON Manhattan.  

So ... do you live IN or ON?

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I live in my state & stand in line too.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA 

You better correct your topic from life to LIVE. Smiley LOL

============

I currently live IN New Joisey.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac 

Thanks .... laptop keyboard ... hit post by accident!

Honored Contributor

Title corrected!

@ALRATIBA wrote:

When I was writing something this morning ... it occurred to me that some of us live IN somewhere and some of us live ON somewhere.

My sister lives ON Long Island.  My brother lives IN WV.  A friend is spending the summer ON Cape Cod. 

Another friend lives IN Dongan Hills ON Staten Island.  Another also lives ON Staten Island, but ON Todd Hill.  

Funny about Long Island.  There are four counties there.  Nassau, Suffolk, Brooklyn and Queens.  

People in Brooklyn and Queens never say that they live ON Long Island.  They simply stay that they live IN Brooklyn or IN Queens.  I was born IN and grew up IN Queens.  When our house IN Queens was sold, my parents moved out to Long Island!

I now live ON an Island, but we say we live IN Manhattan, not ON Manhattan.  

So ... do you live IN or ON?

Respected Contributor

I live IN southwestern Michigan most of the year, but about 30% of the time I live ON an island IN Florida. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Trusted Contributor

I live ON a street, IN a house that is IN a city and IN a state...so I guess the answer for me is both.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

I live IN.

Honored Contributor

I live IN PA, IN Friendly Township ON such and such street.

Great topic!

Esteemed Contributor

I live IN my state, IN my town but ON my road.  Never thought of that before.