Respected Contributor

Do you like to be put on speaker phone by friends or family?

I did the other thread about busy people now.  One family member that I love dearly always spends the first 10 minutes telling me how busy and crazy her life is and that is why it has been so long since she got in touch, so I let her be the one to contact me when she has the time.  Then when she contacts me I get put on speaker phone while she bangs pots, runs water and talks to grandchild and husband etc....I do not like this.  I want to have a private conversation or none at all.  I use speakerphone when I am on hold with a business so I can do something else while waiting but not when talking to family or friends.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you like to be put on speaker phone by friends or family?

My niece and even me do this. I don't mind at least they called. 

Honored Contributor

Eee gad NO I don't mind. I wouldn't talk to anyone if I objected to being put on speaker. I always put my incoming calls on speaker too. Always. What a strange thing to be upset about. 

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

I don't mind with family as it enables you to have a conversation with multiple people at the same time instead of having to hand over the phone to someone else to say hello.

While on the other hand, when I was working, I hated being put on 'speaker' to discuss issues, etc., I would ask the person who called if I was on speaker, then they would immediately take me off, I considered that rude IMO.

Honored Contributor

No, I don't mind. DH and I do it all the time.  We both actually hear better with the speaker on.

Regular Contributor

It depends on who I am talking to.  I don't mind if it's my parents or my kids.  If I am speaking to a friend I would rather it be a private conversation. And if I am speaking to my husband (especially when he's at work) I definitely want it to be a private conversation.  However, regardless of who you are speaking to.....People should always begin their conversation by telling that person they are on "speaker phone".  

Honored Contributor

I don't care if someone puts me on speaker. Nothing I say is that earth shattering. 

My dad is 90 and always uses speaker phone. He can set it extra loud so he can hear better. 

Esteemed Contributor

It depends .  If I had some personal things to talk abt which I do not want her Hubby  or Grandkids to hear than I would ask to be taken off  speaker phone  or ask she call me back later when we could have a private  conversation.

That being said, I do understand if  a friend babysits and  needs to multitask while chatting on occasions , however it really irks me when I'm out shopping or dining out and people are talking to others  on speaker phone. I don't care to hear other's conversations .  It would irk me if my friend had me on speaker phone in  public situations such as at the grocery store .

Trusted Contributor

No I do not like to be put on speaker.  Even worse is being caught by surprise with a face time call..  Yikes hate them

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chiclet I agree it is rude. I don't know anyone that is that busy they can't take 30 minutes to have a private conversation. Speaker is fine when there are multiple people in the room you want to to talk to briefly. 

When she starts talking to the husband and grandchildren I'd say call me back when you have time to talk. People only get away with what we allow.