Respected Contributor

Do you know people really hurting now?

After talking to my son (he's in his 20s) I was very disheartened to hear a good friend of his admitted himself to hospital due to extreme depression and suicidal thoughts. He lost his job due to the virus and other issues going on. I've known this boy for years and pray he gets help he needs.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you know people really hurting now?

Don't  know anyone personally but there sure have been some sad reports in the local news.   One woman was rescued off a highway overpass by authorities.   

@KKJ wrote:

After talking to my son (he's in his 20s) I was very disheartened to hear a good friend of his admitted himself to hospital due to extreme depression and suicidal thoughts. He lost his job due to the virus and other issues going on. I've known this boy for years and pray he gets help he needs.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I have heard that depression and anxiety are becoming very common now due to all the constraints and financial strain people are facing.  If you are troubled, there is help available.  Please take advantage of it.  This too shall pass.

Respected Contributor

I don't personally but common sense says many people are in the same boat as your sons friend. It's sad really. The virus is not the only thing to worry about right now. So many people have had their pay cut or lost their jobs or businesses entirely. People need to understand that just because they aren't suffering doesn't mean so many others aren't. I see a lot of one way or the other comments from people who seem to only consider how this is or isn't harming them. 

Respected Contributor

Lots of people I know are struggling in different ways....it's a miserable mess.

Honored Contributor

@KKJ  That is very sad and I hope he will be okay.  It is not worth worrying about -- it's money.  There is nothing you can do so let it go.  There are brighter days ahead and probably a better job.  i am not saying it isn't difficult but when you learn to let the stress go, you will be a better person for it.  I don't know anyone having any difficulty but I am older so we all get our SS checks.  However, when I a little younger, I went through a very difficult time and managed to come out okay.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Thanks for the kind words KatCat. From what he told me yes the job was prob. the main thing but think there were other issues at play as well, i.e. the break-up with g/f. and who knows what else.

Respected Contributor

Sadly, yes.

Honored Contributor

This time is especially difficult for anyone who had issues with anxiety or depression before. Hotlines and physician "call ins" were set up for that reason. I'd imagine those sitting this out alone have a difficult time, too. 

Honored Contributor

No; I don't know anyone who is hurting financially because of the shutdown. The only person I know who has been affected is the shop owner where I get pedicures. However, the shop is more of a hobby, she doesn't depend on the income to survive.