Regular Contributor

Re: Do you know people like this?

[ Edited ]

@CherryHugswhat I have found is there are better people out there, just keep looking and never let others dictate how you feel about yourself - very important.  Your self worth should never be determined by the opinions of awful people, inconsiderate people, people who fail to see your worth due to THEIR failures in life and incorrectly judging other people.  

Honored Contributor

@ann1989 wrote:

@CherryHugswhat I have found is there are better people out there, just keep looking and never let others dictate how you feel about yourself - very important.  Your self worth should never be determined by the opinions of awful people, inconsiderate people, people who fail to see your worth due to THEIR failures in life and incorrectly judging other people.  

@ann1989, none of that was part of the problem as described in the OP. The complaint was solely about those who constantly talk but never show any desire to listen.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

The good thing about social media is that you can’t get interrupted...just post your thought and she can read it or not! I think people like this are lonely inside and have a lot of thoughts about everything...and don’t know how to control sharing them every waking moment.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am more put off my people who have no regard for personal space, I don’t have issues regarding it, but we know a guy at church who serves on some committees with us and he is literally in your face when he talks! We always try and grab a seat as far away as we can at planning meetings and he is there. When we end up having to be in the same area at events I spend the whole time moving around.Sit down...and there he is instantly. He is around everyone like this.,,both men and women. If I back away,he follows forward like we are dancing....😬

Trusted Contributor

Re: Do y\@@ou know people like this?

@chiclets Well said and thoughtful. Happy new year.

Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs @Solar Is My Name @lovesrecess @suzyQ3 @ann1989 

my mother....she is gone but recently I have had the "opportunity" to deal with a narcissist again in my life.

In the case of my mom, I moved out of state and away from the situation. From what I have been reading, if anyone is dealing with a N, the best solution for self-preservation is to get away.

Accepting Narcissism can cause a great deal of damage to a person...it can be a form of sadism in its worst form.

Set your boundaries and don't try to change the other person.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My co-worker.  I swear she has extra lungs because she never pauses to inhale.

Someone can go in her office and say "my grandmother died this weekend" and she will talk about her grandmother without even the simplest condolence.  I don't bother to ask a work related question because I will only walk away shaking my head while she is talking about some aspect of her life.  

I have to just deal with it.  I keep earplugs at my desk and bought noise cancelling headphones for situations when people are in there and she's telling her life story, or when she is talking at the phone.  I need those because she is LOUD too.

Honored Contributor

I have a "friend" who talks non-stop also. I have tried to distance myself from her, I stopped returning her phone calls. I knew this was something that really upset her because she would always b*itch about people who didn't return her calls. Of course, I knew the reason why! She is the same way on FB, her posts go on and on forever. She definitely craves attention and she is also always right in her opinion no matter what the topic. She went to college for one semester and is constantly talking about how she went to  college like she is a stellar graduate of a major university.

Valued Contributor

I have had several ‘friends’ like you describe.  Ultimately, the ‘friendship’ does not last.  

Respected Contributor

My sister. We live thousands of miles apart but occasionally talk on the phone. She goes on and on about her life and doesn't give me a chance to talk. If I try to make a comment or ask a question about what she's saying, she'll pause, say "pardon??" and act annoyed at my audacity to interrupt her. Once in a while, she'll ask me what's going on with me but I'd better make it quick because I'll have "the floor" for about twenty seconds, if I'm lucky. On Facebook, all she posts is pictures of her, changing her profile pic constantly or posting about whatever she's doing at the time. It's sad because narcissists don't know they're narcissists and in her case, she's baffled that she can't find a "good man" and that she's still alone (following a brief marriage when she was 48) at age 57.