Respected Contributor

Re: Do you know people like this?

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Last summer I was eyeball deep in caring for my mother during multiple health crises. My friend called and after listening to my story actually said I should call her after things styled down. No sympathy, no offers of support, nothing. Just call her when I was done. Gee thanks.

She was probably so afraid you'd ask for help of some kind.  That's such a shame.

Five years ago the day my Mom died I called my friend to tell her.  After a briief offer of sympathy she went off on one of her usual rants about something to do with her.  These people are unbelievable.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have friends like this...when they call me on the phone, I just put it on speakerphone and go about my business.i had one who was just so annoying that I finally stopped her and said “ let me know when I can have a turn speaking”. I am not sure why I speak to her, she doesn’t listen anyway. I think people like this just like to hear themselves talk, but don’t know how to listen.

Esteemed Contributor

I had a good friend (or so I thought) who was like this. Our friendship was close only for a few years. I really got tired of listening to her control conversations and talking non-stop about her and her family. I don't know if it ever occured to her that she dominated every conversation we had. I finally eased out of our close friendship and I was a happier person. Nothing says you need to maintain a friendship that isn't a two-way street and leaves you frustrated.

Honored Contributor

'Problem is'.......... We cannot say even one simple sentence (not controversial at all) without a long, hour long 'explanation' from that person.

So, naturally, I don't say anything at all.

Could it be a control tactic?  Maybe a way to silence another person or others in general?

Too bad, because I love to have nice, peaceful, positive  conversations with others.  

'Oh, well'..........

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

'Actually', 'now that I'm thinking about it'.

I could be having a nice, pleasant, simple conversation with someone clear across the room........and then here ____ comes, walking across the room, dominating the nice conversation......explaining, describing, informing........on and on and on.   

There must be some sort of reason why.........any psychologists reading this?  Feel free to chime in.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

I would walk away.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Yes, I know a few people (women) like that.

One is a very close family member and the other two are women I work with.

I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones that I notice the most.  It almost seems pointless to talk to them sometimes because I doubt they are even truly listening to anything I have to say.

Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Last summer I was eyeball deep in caring for my mother during multiple health crises. My friend called and after listening to my story actually said I should call her after things styled down. No sympathy, no offers of support, nothing. Just call her when I was done. Gee thanks.

@Peaches McPhee Wow.  Just wow!!!

So very, very sorry!Smiley Sad

Trusted Contributor

My mother was extremely narcissistic, so I know what that trait is like.  

However, I get really talkative on the phone, or when I meet someone for lunch.  I don't feel like I'm narcissistic.  I actually just get really excited to have someone to socialize with, and my mouth runs like a motor.

I'm aware that I do it, and will stop myself.  But, for me, it doesn't come from a place of harm or arrogance.  Maybe that's what some of these other people are doing...

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Esteemed Contributor

I was on a bus tour. One lady constantly interrupted people in the middle of conversations. She acted like a teenager being silly.

We were finishing breakfast when she came to the table and interrupted us saying "Do you want to hear a joke?"

I immediately replied"NO!" Then I got up and left the table. Ha! My friend followed as did some others saying they also escaped and thanked me.