Honored Contributor

Re: Do you know people like this?

@CherryHugs     These people are NOT friends..... A friend would not do that

Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee   that is just plain rude of her!! im sorry that happened.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

@LdyBugz   hehe that is funny Smiley Happy

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I do know several people with the “it’s all about me” trait, and have been married to one for 45 years.  

However, this trait did not come out in my husband until about 10 years ago, after he became disabled.   My MIL and all of her siblings had this trait, so my husband was raised with it, but until he stopped working and spent much longer periods of time with his family, I never saw this in him.   I also think retirement has helped it surface, because he feels so left out; no longer out and about every day, and unaware of all the latest happenings in the community.   

I do tolerate it with a work friend because I understand her circumstances and know she really depends on me to be her trustworthy sounding board.  I do have a way to cut her off when she begins to ramble and I’ve heard enough.   

This trait was a major factor contributing to the longtime friendship I let go of six months ago.   What was once a very close friendship, became an intolerance due to her traits.   

Honored Contributor

after spending an excruiating day with her last week i do feel i will make excuses to not see her.  i have only known her for less than a year.

i have 2 aunts like this too. they dont need anyone to say a word just sit there and they go on for hours. 

i love them but wow so annoying and it is not fun at all for the rest of us.

you cant get a word in.

bad thing is some family members talk about them behind their backs for doing this but no one will say anything to them, which I would not and sure no one else would.

im sure they dont know they do this. it is hard to even stay focused on the non stop talk lol.

i am more quiet and would rather be quiet than to rattle on and on. but some ppl are never at a loss for words lol.

Honored Contributor

I just let them go on and on and then I'm on my way. People like that don't really care for advice or comments, they just want to talk. I have an aunt who is like that since she's aged, the only person she's really interested in is herself. I guess she figures she doesn't have much time left so she's putting herself first. I don't blame her, but I won't spend any time with her these days. I used to call her once a month, but if she was busy doing something she would tell me she was busy. I don't initiate calls to her anymore, I tell her to call me when she wants to chat. I only have her and a 91 year old uncle left from my mother's side of the family.

Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs ,

Myself and "not being able to get a word in"?  That is an oxymoron. I have acquaintances that seem to live in their own world, no one else lives in it. Friends like that? Who doesn't, but I am a little quicker and not easily drawn away from what I am saying.

They go back to "them", i go back to "whatever"! As often as they go back to themselves and are not bothering to let me finish, I return to my topic just as quickly. Same with my relatives. All of them quickly understand they should save their topic about themselves for someone that, for some reason, thinks it rude to interrupt someone that just interrupted them. I don't think or feel that way. Do you?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

What do I do?  Listen.  I know I am way more boring that most people, so I just listen.

It's that or sit by myself. 

@Sooner I totally doubt that.  You are an interesting person on these boards.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@CherryHugs 

Why do you consider these people to be friends.  They really are not your friends. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner  I've read your posts and I like them; some I find amusing. You are not at all boring.