Honored Contributor

Do you know how to do CPR? News story this morning.

I've seen the machines that defib. May need to check on this some more. Might be a good Christmas gift idea. Gift of life, so to speak. I have to check.

Do you know CPR or have one of the little machines?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you know how to do CPR? News story this morning.

I was certified for CPR at one point but didn’t keep up with it.  I remember it took great effort to push on the chest, at least for me.  I wonder about the cost of the machines; something to think about. 

Respected Contributor

Is there a new portable de fib machine out on the market now?  I don't know CPR, I never took the class.  I do know it's not as easy as they show on tv and mostly  non medical people who think they can do it, really can't.  

Esteemed Contributor

I as a nurse was certified in advanced life support and have maintained my CPR certification.  I have used it many times on the job and in the Port Authority Bus Terminal, at our condo pool twice , a street fair and on a flight.  I always advised expectant parents to learn CPR before their child was born and often gave a gift certificate for local classes with my baby gift.  

It is important to know and classes were given at our workplace and well attended by employees.  

To purchase a defibrillator is a waste of money unless you live in a very rural area and help would not arrive for a long period of time.  All people needing CPR are not defibrillated, family and friends are nervous and upset during resuscitation and may not perform well using the defibrillator and once one is in your home, you must maintain the machine and when you don't use something daily, it may just be forgotten about and when you need it the batteries are dead....

Respected Contributor

@Stray wrote:

I as a nurse was certified in advanced life support and have maintained my CPR certification.  I have used it many times on the job and in the Port Authority Bus Terminal, at our condo pool twice , a street fair and on a flight.  I always advised expectant parents to learn CPR before their child was born and often gave a gift certificate for local classes with my baby gift.  

It is important to know and classes were given at our workplace and well attended by employees.  

To purchase a defibrillator is a waste of money unless you live in a very rural area and help would not arrive for a long period of time.  All people needing CPR are not defibrillated, family and friends are nervous and upset during resuscitation and may not perform well using the defibrillator and once one is in your home, you must maintain the machine and when you don't use something daily, it may just be forgotten about and when you need it the batteries are dead....

Thanks for this.  I thought there might be something new and easy to use for non medical people.  My hubby is an RN who taught CPR at his hospital for years and he always said that even with training and certification,  most non medical people lose the skill with weeks of the class and can do more harm than good.

Esteemed Contributor

@Chrystaltree2- I agree with your husband.  One has to think out and perform steps before jumping to defibrillation and if you are involved emotionally, that thought process just does not happen.  Sometimes, it's an airway obstruction or a non cardiac event and defibrillation is not necessary but standard CPR is necessary and valuable.  CPR instruction is money well spent but purchasing a defibrillator is just wasting a lot of money. 

Esteemed Contributor

Honored Contributor

Yes.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Stray wrote:

Wow - I have been an ICU nurse my entire adult life and so, of course , had to be ACLS certified. Outside of my job I have done a few heimlich manuvers in restaurants and had to do CPR in a theatre once - it was the first Star Wars and I took my brother's kids (12 of them). At least they were impressed with their old aunt - they Cheered while I was doing the compressions and applauded for me after the paramedics took the guy away. As I recall I had a really hard time getting the guy out of the seat and into the aisle and no one helped me except my little 8 year old nephew.

Honored Contributor

@Stray wrote:

@Chrystaltree2- I agree with your husband.  One has to think out and perform steps before jumping to defibrillation and if you are involved emotionally, that thought process just does not happen.  Sometimes, it's an airway obstruction or a non cardiac event and defibrillation is not necessary but standard CPR is necessary and valuable.  CPR instruction is money well spent but purchasing a defibrillator is just wasting a lot of money. 

Actually, the machine would only administer a shock if it is appropriate. Yes, sometimes there is something unusual like an airway obstruction but the % of that is very low in comparrison to the number of cardiac events.I can't imagine buying a defib for your home unless you have someone who has a cardiac history.