Honored Contributor

Re: Do you know an adult who still goes running to tattle?

Yes, there was a poster recently that was trying to get the mods to close a particular thread because she didn't agree with the comments.  She called out specifically for Alice, Beth, etc in a post, asking them to ban posters, but was ignored.  She was "running to the mods to tattle".  It was silly.

Respected Contributor

If you are referring to gossip, I am not into it and neither are my friends. Small-minded people don't last in my circle. When we talk, one on one or in our brunch group, we discuss ideas, fun events, serious issues, etc., but gossip just isn't a part of it.

My mother isn't a gossip, either, so I have come to believe that an interest in gossiping about others is probably in one's DNA. I've always found gossip and gossipy people boring, even as a child, An inherited trait?

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

“Tattle”

Lord....are we in 4th grade?

Anyone who uses that word within an adult conversation,

I have to question their maturity level in the first place.

You must not know any adult tattle-tales.

Believe me, they are out there.

What word would you prefer?

Valued Contributor

Ugh.......the ladies who live on either side of my BF & I.  They are in their 70s-80s.  Both will mention things about the other and ask me not to tell the other person.....or tell me what the other said about something involving my BF, his dog etc but was supposed to keep it confidential. 

One has been making snarkier comments about the other more often lately...the older and more religiously devote one. She used to phone the house whenever my BF's truck was home during the day or if there was a repairman's truck in the driveway. Sometimes I feel bad for her as her kids only come around when they need something.....but maybe her comments/judgements keep them away. 

Trusted Contributor

I talk to the two guys that sit next to me in work.  Both of them have me in stiches all day - with jokes.  Just talking about general stuff.  They never gossip or tattle.  LOVE it.   Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

“Tattle”

Lord....are we in 4th grade?

Anyone who uses that word within an adult conversation,

I have to question their maturity level in the first place.

You must not know any adult tattle-tales.

Believe me, they are out there.

What word would you prefer?

In my hood the word would be..."snitch."

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

When I was working, it was bad.... and I'm one of those who is bored stiff by gossip and couldn't care less about "who did what".... so I'd prompty forget it (if I heard it all, I tend to not listen).... and lo and behold the gossipers  totally stopped stopping by to tell me all about it.  LOL.... they had to, they were wasting their time talking to me....Woman Wink

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I don't know if it's inherited but maybe just human nature.

When does concern for a friend become gossip?

It can be a fine line from letting friends know that a mutual friend is sick in the hospital or just lost a job to delving into gossip.

Or maybe I'm just speaking for myself, I have to rein myself in sometimes.

And if gossip was sport in your (not yours personally) house growing up , then it's learned.

@libbyannE wrote:

If you are referring to gossip, I am not into it and neither are my friends. Small-minded people don't last in my circle. When we talk, one on one or in our brunch group, we discuss ideas, fun events, serious issues, etc., but gossip just isn't a part of it.

My mother isn't a gossip, either, so I have come to believe that an interest in gossiping about others is probably in one's DNA. I've always found gossip and gossipy people boring, even as a child, An inherited trait?

Respected Contributor

Yes, I do.  I went to high school with her and when I see her in my small town, I know I'm getting ready to get ''the scoop'' !  I don't see her very often but when I do, she talks to me like we are the closest friends in the world - and talks just as hard and fast as her gums will flap.  I think she must feel that she can establish a closer connection with me if she appears to confide in me....I DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT !   She is a back stabber, in the truest sense of the words !

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sure do! We call him Finkinstein.