Honored Contributor

Do you know an adult who still goes running to tattle?

I do.  It seems like some adults still go tattling tales.  I watched (over the weekend) a follow-up to Anne of Green Gables.

I was reminded of this when her new teacher constantly told her, (paraphrasing and taking some liberty)  "Anne with an E (the name of the series too) it isn't nice to spread tales and tattle on other's."

Some people still do this.  I see it as a way of trying to get on the good side of some.  Often it is none of their business and more often not totally true.

Just reminiscing here.  Just turned on the computer.  

Have a good day ladies.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you know an adult who still goes running to tattle?

Yep, my cousin's husband who lives across the street two doors down from us.  He walks his dog and gathers information from everyone and spreads it around.

He "reports" neighbors to the township for silly things all of the time too. He tattles on everyone.  I have to tell him I am not interested in hearing about others.  He is very nosy and a big pain you know where.

A few weeks ago he cornered my DH who was mowing our front lawn.  My DH told him we are moving and looking for a new home (we aren't).  A week later we attended a family wedding.  Many of my family members wanted to know where we are moving to.

Yesterday, he told me the groom from the wedding we attended didn't want to get married.  The bride, my cousin, forced him into it.  The bride is 70 and I imagine  the groom is about her age.  They had a big Catholic wedding and reception that was tasteful and beautiful and age appropriate.  

i had to tell him to stop...he's a character for sure. When the  neighbors see him coming, they run indoors until he has gone.  I have no idea what my cousins sees in him.  I would lose him in a heartbeat.

Respected Contributor

Absolutely, in the office I worked in.  One person starts it, then another retaliates, then you have to defend yourself.  Vicious cycle.  So glad to be out of there.

Honored Contributor

My favorite books of all time!

I don't see it with adults anymore, though my friends and I lead such low-drama lives, there wouldn't be anything to tattle about.

However, we have something at school called Text-a-Tip, so kids can anonymously text the Admin and Sheriff's office if they see something on campus that frightens or concerns them.  I think it's a good idea in theory, but it bothers me on an ethical level.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

These are not tattlers but gossipers, big difference.  Yes I know some tattlers.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I dont understand what this has to do with tattle tales?

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Are you referring to the posters here who scream for the Mods when they see an opinion different from theirs?

Esteemed Contributor

Oh Gosh!!  what a good topic @Annabellethecat66.

Neighbor Dave sits on his front porch all day chatting with everyone who walks by, and calling out to any neighbor who drives past or steps into their front yard.

He keeps track of everyone's leaving and returning, and asks where they've been or what they've bought!

It surprises me how many will interrupt their business to stop for a while and spend time gossiping about their neighbors with Dave.

Dave collects info on everyone up and down the block, and repeats it as the gospel truth (while putting his own fantastic spin on things). He reports on who got Fed Ex or UPS, who has visitors, who didn't go to work that day, etc.

Some stay for the gossip, but some need extra motivation to stay and listen.

Dave sits with a cooler of beers under his chair, and if you try to walk away he'll offer a beer to try to get you to stay longer.

Stories I've heard from my neighbor, per Dave,  include how 88 y/o Neighbor Phil held off four young burglars with a shotgun until the cops arrived. The burglers entered Phil's house by jumping through the glass of four of Phil's windows simultaneously, just like in the movies!

I know Phil is vehemently anti-gun, so I knew this story was pure fiction. When I next saw Phil he said he's never said more than a 'Hello' to Dave, there was no break in and couldn't understand how stories like that ever started.

One neighbor lifted the hood of their car to check the oil, and that started Dave speculating that the car was going to be towed to the repair shop.

After I was ill a few years ago I was told by various people that Dave was telling neighbor's that I'd had a heart attack, a stroke, fallen and broken my hip, and other assorted reasons for not being out and about.

None of these are even remotely true.

While some of Dave's friendly chatter has nuggets of truth, it's a destructive element overall.

Respected Contributor

Absolutely.

Just spend the day at a senior citizen center.

Spend the day there making crafts, playing game, painting and so on. Just sit yourself down at the tables and listen to all the talk.

Honored Contributor

I had a boo who encouraged tattling. He would actually get angry if people would clam up. Of course if it was something egregious he would have to be told , but most issues can be handled between co- workers without the drama. He just loved the blame game. Horrible man !

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan