Respected Contributor

Re: Do you know an adult who still goes running to tattle?

Our Mailman is a gossip.  He has stories about everybody in the neighborhood.  My husband always says:"I wonder what he has to say about us??" !!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

"Tattle" has 2 meanings.   Looks like the original one was more about gossip, babble, idle talk or chatter, but in some societies it also began to be a pejorative toward anyone who discloses wrongdoing.   The original post seems to reflect both, since "spreading tales" is gossip and "tattling on others" sounds more like passing along incriminating information.   

It's a slippery slope if we try to shame people who "see something and say something" since sometimes the attempt to silence comes from those who are hoping not to be discovered in their own bad behavior.   I think we have to be really careful about this kind of shaming, especially in teaching children to speak up about abuse, bullying, or any activity that might cause harm.   Actually, even adults need to feel unashamed to disclose egregious wrongs.   

Gossip...  that's different, in my opinion.   I'm not a fan of it nor of the justifications for it.   But I know I'm in the minority -- just look at the popularity of rags like the National Enquirer, or the number of people we know in our daily lives who relish the chance to pass along tales about friends, family, co-workers, etc.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I don't understand the question.   Who would an adult "tattle" too ???  

Honored Contributor

I live in a highrise.  What do you think? Smiley Wink

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

co workers or bosses, building managers, neighbors, cops, etc

I grew up with a kid who tattled when her sister colored outside the lines. she's still that way.

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Perhaps the spouse of the "tattle-ee". "I saw your wife having lunch with another man yesterday."

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

“Tattle”

Lord....are we in 4th grade?

Anyone who uses that word within an adult conversation,

I have to question their maturity level in the first place.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

co workers or bosses, building managers, neighbors, cops, etc

I grew up with a kid who tattled when her sister colored outside the lines. she's still that way.

Ok,  I guess I just don't like in that type of world.  Of course, being one of 5 siblings, I'm no stranger to tattling in childhood and in the teenage years.  

Honored Contributor

What comes to my mind is those posters who are always so offended by the most inane things and then run to post what a host or vendor did either with mispronouncing, clothing, hair, makeup, clothing. etc.  Then they say they insist something just has to be done about the offense they have perceived!  

Esteemed Contributor

My last job was nothing but a bunch of tattle tales, gossiping busy bodies and drama queens. Every day it was something. Glad to have gotten laid off four years ago.