Honored Contributor

Re: Do you keep extra cards and gifts on hand for "just in case"?

I keep cards on hand in a Hallmark card box that I got years ago. It has divided tab cards to keep eveeything separates  by occasion.

i don't keep gifts on hand.  I mostly give cash gifts anyway.

Honored Contributor

I never have, as I really would want to choose the card/gift specifically for a given person.   

But, then, it's easy for me to say because both of us have virtually no family at all, so there's never a case when I would need to do a rush thing.   Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I always have extra Philosophy or WEN  and cards on hand if I need a quick gift or need to send some type of card.

Honored Contributor

I keep a few sympathy cards on hand and a few Beekman items for gifts, I don't like running to the store on the spur of the moment. 

Respected Contributor

Twice a year, I buy cards for all the birthdays and anniversaries coming up in the next 6 months. Also always purchase a few "thinking of you", "praying for you",
"glad you're my friend" cards because someone is bound to need encouragement or sympathy.

I don't keep gifts just in case.

Right now I have several things for my GGdaughter's 1st birthday next month, and others for another littl GGdaughter who is due in June. Littl cousins.

snappy Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

I used to work in a store that sold cards so I never had to stock up. Now that I am retired I keep a few cards on hand  Someome on here talked about shopping at Current catalog so I went there to look at things and now I order stuff from there too.

Respected Contributor

I used to keep a few gifts on hand, but have stopped. I keep a whole box of cards for ever occasion (all filed for occasions). I also keep a small notebook with the b-days I want to remember. I don't always send cards for all b-days, but most of time I do. I keep my box of cards, address book,& my other "little black book"  & calendar together. Every year, I say I am cutting back, but never do. 

Trusted Contributor

I am a Hallmark-oholic.  I always have cards on hand.  Not so much gifts.   

Honored Contributor

I do have a few things tucked away--but not cards per se, more like little gift tags. Rarly need them anymore but still have a few .

Honored Contributor

I keep a small drawer in my hutch for cards and stationary (my stash of Christmas cards are elsewhere) for most occasions. 

I don't usually have baby shower or wedding cards, as we go years and years and have no need for those. But birthday, nice Thank You, and some for Thanksgiving, Halloween, Easter, as well as really pretty blank all occasion type cards. I too, hate to run out for a card, and tend to stock up when I find them really cheap for nice ones, or when I'm in Dollar Tree. 

I used to keep some gifts on hand that were purchased with no one in particular in mind. Nice handmade wool mittens, Christmas ornaments, nice candles, hand made stationary, the kind of things that one could grab for a quick hostess gift, a thank you gift, or a teachers gift type thing. 

We gift less and less all the time, so I have gotten rid of much of that stuff, and keep maybe just three or four things on hand for such occasions now. 

I do shop all year for the few people I buy for, so it isn't unusual for me to buy my son his annual Christmas ornament from us, in February when our favorite Wendell August ornaments are down to about 75% off in their store and have it stashed back, or to get my mom something I know she will love for her birthday in July, already purchased in December!