Respected Contributor

Re: Do you keep extra cards and gifts on hand for "just in case"?

@qualitygal I always have a slew of cards on hand. I have 4 or 5 Henri Bendel candles in the house for gifts. If we go to someone's house or for any reason, they always come in handy. I also have decorative bags in the house for the candles. I get them at the 99 cent store. They're really beautiful and great quality.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

Yes I keep a supply of cards and gifts on hand.  However, not to the extent I did years ago when my kids were home and invited to parties at the last minute and then I also had more friends and family with whom I exchanged gifts and cards.   I hate the fact that mailing cards is becoming a thing of the past.

Respected Contributor

I buy the handmade all occasion box of cards from COSTCO. There are 32 cards in an organized box for $18, can't beat that. 

Trusted Contributor

I keep some blank cards and thank you cards on hand.  As far as gifts, I sew, quilt, and have several embroidery machines. There are an endless variety of things I can whip up, for a personalized gift, in less time than it would take me to go to the store.  

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Super Contributor

No, I can't imagine that.   I think it would be awkward.

Respected Contributor

At the beginning of the year I buy all the birthdays cards for my son's & grandkids along with a box of all occasion cards. I also stock up on gift cards when a local store has them on sale 30% off with 4x fuel points...I learned a long time ago last minute gifts are costly & disappointing.

Honored Contributor

no

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Cards yes, gifts no.  My friends and I decided years ago , NO gifts.  All my friends and I always go out for meals and don't buy gifts for each other.  We are each responsible for our own costs.  

Doing so also allows for times when any one of us may be going thru an unknown financial situation or helping children/grandchildren and needing to watch spending w/o advertising that fact and still keep in touch.  You can always go to a restaurant and get a cheaper appetizer or find something cheaper to keep your own costs down.  Years ago I was part of a group of friends that just split the bill by however many were in the group and there were always 2 ppl who drank a LOT or one or two who bought higher cost meals.  Back then I couldn't afford or have the ability to do that - - everyone being responsible for their own meals makes life SO much easier.  No gifts means you aren't embarrassed when one presents one to you and you don't have one to reciprocate.

Honored Contributor

Nope, I'm the type to not give anyone a generic card/gift. I get personal gifts. I'm the one that won't shop throughout the year picking up Christmas gifts. I wait until I get a list from my loved one and get what they really want. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@10grands wrote:

No, I can't imagine that.   I think it would be awkward.

What is awkward about having some greeting cards on had for when the occasion arises to need one?