Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have houseplants?

I have several houseplants (only the easy to grow ones).  Peace lilies, spider plants, pothos, Chinese evergreen, etc.  They clean the air.  I especially love them in the winter.    

Trusted Contributor

Plants inside the home can be conducive to a healthier environment.  The oxygen producing qualities are significant enough to actually filter the air you are surrounded by - natural air purifiers if you will.  It is a good suggestion to have several throughout your home.

Esteemed Contributor

Q: Do you have houseplants?
A: Not anymore.
What I DO have is a cat that snacks on any and all plants, including the straw in my broom.
Used to have Norfolk Island Pine, Sansevieria, jade plant, begonia, cast iron plant, ferns, spider plant, succulents I cant recall the names for, etc.
Truly, I don't miss caring for them at all.
Respected Contributor

I have a shamrock I got at the grocery store a few years ago.  It is really large now, and flowers periodically.  It sits on my dining room table in front of my slider patio doors.  

Honored Contributor

Once, long ago; now I have 5 frustrated cats 🐱!!!!!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

Why yes, I have many - in every room of the house with a window, in fact.  I've spent the better part of the last thirty years working with plants for a living, so it just feels normal.

The list is long and I've had some for over 30 years.  They're well-tended, well-potted, and I think they enhance the home.  

I can't imagine not having any.  My dog doesn't bother them.🐕🌿

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

I have a Hindu Rope Plant because apparently you can't kill it. I bought the tiny thing 25 years ago for a couple of bucks in the grocery store.

Of course because I'm so bad with plants I just looked it up and it's supposed to flower! Pretty sure that's never happened in all of the years I've had it.

Respected Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

I have a Hindu Rope Plant because apparently you can't kill it. I bought the tiny thing 25 years ago for a couple of bucks in the grocery store.

Of course because I'm so bad with plants I just looked it up and it's supposed to flower! Pretty sure that's never happened in all of the years I've had it.

@pigletsmom

I have one of those and I did have the same problem of the plant not flowering.

It sat in a plastic pot on the floor behind a chair.  It didn't grow much and never flowered.

This plant is about 25 yrs old.  About 5 yrs ago I transplanted it into a bigger ceramic pot and put it directly  in an east facing window up higher.  I put it on a pedestal table. That plant took off and now it's about 5 ft long and hangs down into the stairwell.  I've also cut off starters and they are growing like crazy also.  It does flower once in a while.  They are tiny pink pointed buds that look kind of waxy.  I also put one of those fertilizer sticks in the pot about once a year.

It's an unusual plant and everyone asks about it.

Esteemed Contributor

I have 2 pothos.  One hanging basket that I grew from a cutting for 8 years now and one growing in water.  

The one growing in water is more white than green.  Very pretty!

I have three Christmas Cactus on the porch.

Christmas cactus.jpg

They are very old but keep blooming!

Trusted Contributor

I have two houseplants (Devil's Ivy) in my kitchen that I really like.  They are good for color.  I have two spiky palms that I am trying to keep over the winter and will use them outside next summer in large pots with small flowers around the base.  One of them isn't doing well at the moment.  It might not see another summer.   

But I also have 5 large funeral plants.  My DH does not want to get rid of them because they are from the funerals of his parents.  Please, people, do not send plants for funerals.  They become a burden.