Respected Contributor

Do things ever change, really?

I'm in my late 60s now and back when I was in my 20s I remember the topic coming up about how women make so much less than men for equal responsibility work.  There was a movement for a while about changing that.  There was even an expensive "study" launched where I worked (State government).  It felt optimistic that things could improve, but alas, they never did.  Women have more access to higher education and higher level job opportunities, but it still feels like for the most part, are considered "less than" or "token" representatives. 

It seems more acceptable for men to not color their gray hairs - they are "distinguished".  I just watched Geena Davis' documentary "This Changes Everything" about how little representation women have in the entertainment industry, which was eye opening and extremely frustrating.  Or is progress just very, very slow???

From my perspective, after close to 50 years of adulthood, women still have so much catching up to do.  Will it ever happen?  I suppose people of different races feel the same.  It seems that the ones with the power have no intention of giving it up. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Do things ever change, really?

[ Edited ]

As long as bigotry is around things will remain the same. People don't change, only the time does.

ETA-

I'm a minority woman. I've had my share of things not equal in my world.  My mother had a much more difficult time with her struggles for equality. She was an immigrant who spoke English with a heavy accent. People treated her like she was ignorant. I resented that terribly and I still have negative things to say about it to this day.

Honored Contributor

Where I worked, there were many women in management positions.

Woman gave the few males who worked in my department better raises and they also gave more money to single women because married women had a husband who was supplying a second income.

There was no union and nothing could be done about it.  If you made waves, you'd be gone.

I agree that women have a ways to go, but they contribute to the problem as well.

Trusted Contributor

Not much has changed in the way of fair pay trends. 

Here is a cogent article with commentary on the wage gap between women workers and men in the United States.

Interesting statistics are presented very clearly and equivalents are drawn as to how women are affected in the workplace by lack of opportunities men frequently are not denied. 

The article was published in October 2022 and cites statistics and studies as recently as 2021. 

https://www.nationalpartnership.org/our-work/resources/economic-justice/fair-pay/americas-women-and-...

Respected Contributor

From my perspective things have changed a lot.  Back in the 70s women couldn't finance a house or get a credit card.  I was refused financing everywhere because I was a single mother.  I couldn't buy a new car for that reason.  I was told to find an old car and they would finance that.  Even landlords wouldn't rent to single women.  The credit union would loan all the money their father wanted, keeping him broke so he couldn't pay child support.  But me......no.  In 1980 I was finally able to buy a house but still had a hard time buying a car. 

But now I own a house, two vehicles, and can get all the credit cards I want.

Where I worked just a many women as men held higher positions.

I've lived long enough to see many changes.

Respected Contributor

I remember trying to get a credit card in my own name. The store wanted my husband to co sign for me. I refused and finally got one in my name only. 

Respected Contributor

Me too.  I stood strong and never gave up.  I have excellent credit to this day.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had no problem getting credit in the 70's in my name, but when I was done having children and wanted a tubal, the doctor insisted my husband needed to sign off.

I was pretty PO'd.  

Honored Contributor

When?  When women quit back-biting in the work place (I've seen more women after other women than men where I worked 40 years). When women stop using s ex to get ahead, and when they don't expect to be promoted because they are women and blaming men.

From what I have seen and read in books about famous women, it's absolutely as much or more other women.  

Before you jump on me that is MY experience.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Currently, I think women have the edge, given more than men.

Affirmative Action protects all women and non-whites. It discriminates against white males.  As a result, they have a much more difficult time getting employment and into college.  There are more women in college than men.  It's not from lack of trying.

Feminism continues to push for more, but as I see it they are getting more than men.  It appears they don't want equal opportunity, they want superiority.

Companies have been looking for women to hire...they announce gender, as well as other quotas.  Merit not necessary.  

A lot has changed over the years.  Up until the 70's, women needed a male signature to be admitted to a hospital...get a loan for an apartment, house, car.  No credit cards until then.  

I worked in a male dominated profession, was promoted several times, and made as much money as the men.  I was treated the same as men.  I worked hard, put in many extra hours.