Honored Contributor

Re: Do people still send Birthday cards?

@barb40

I mailed two birthday cards today!

But it is not as common as it used to be.

Respected Contributor

Yes I do. I have several very close friends & a few single men, who don't have much family. I always send those every year for last 15yrs or so. The men always thank me for remembering them.

Respected Contributor

I have about a dozen close friends and family that I send birthday cards to.   I get cards from them too.    I also send get well type cards.   At my age, I have friends in the hospital more often than we'd like and I send cards to them.   

Esteemed Contributor

Birthdays, anniversaries, Valentine's, Easter, 4th of July, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas are all times I buy and mail cards to family and close friends.

My grandson receives a gift card to a music store for music equipement and/or supplies with each of his cards since I have no idea what else to gift a 12-year old! And, his music is becoming so expensive. If I'm able to help his parents with his expenses, I'm happy to do so (without spoiling him) or offending them.

Each time our family receives a gift, a handwritten thank you note is written immediately and mailed.

I received a note from my grandson today for his birthday gift card. He is going to spend it on "a double bass pedal for my drums."  I knew he was looking at the double bass pedals, but still don't know what it does! He has had a pedal for his drum set for a very long time. Moving on to bigger and better equipment. When he gets the new double pedal, I'll hear it and know what it does. LOL  He does love his music!!  Makes me happy.    

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Yes, people still send B-Day cards.  They are so expensive...what's up with that?

@Carmie

i get so many greeting cards from charities throughout the year that i dont really NEED to buy any type of card.

I have a large collection of Christmas cards from charities, along with those return address stickers, but never get any for any other occasion.

One of the dollar stores has very nice cards for 2 for $1, but sometimes I have no choice but to buy one somewhere else. It's difficult to find a card that costs under $5, most of the nice ones are almost $7

i have a friend who works part time in a card and gift shop.  She says they throw out the unsold cards after a holiday or when new replacements come in.  No wonder they are priced so high.

Valued Contributor

I’m so happy to see this post as I am an avid card sender. And I am lucky enough to have a small circle of girlfriends who feel the same. I especially love humorous cards! That being said, if anyone is interested in doing something very kind for a WWII veteran you can google “WWII veteran turning 96 wants only birthday cards” and the news video comes up. His special day is December 30th. I saw the story and was really touched. (All of his friends have passed away.)  So, when his daughter asked him what he wanted for his birthday he said, “I would love lots of birthday cards.” I hope he gets his wish. 🍰🇺🇸🎂🎈

Esteemed Contributor

I enjoy sending birthday cards.  I make my own from photos I’ve taken so it adds a personal touch.  My friends and family seem to enjoy them. 

Now that you mention it, I think it could be a generational thing.  My nieces and nephews usually use email for birthday greetings.  People are being raised in the digital age where everything is online - books, cards, newspapers, etc.  

Super Contributor

I do and enjoy doing it. Find amazing that some folks dont say thank you.

Honored Contributor

I am the oldest of 7 kids.  When adding all of us, spouses, their kids, grandkids, my immediate family consists of 46 people.   We get together once a month for birthdays, holidays, etc.  Not everyone can make them but we have a great time together.  

Anyway, we always try to outdo others on funny cards.  I've seen some doozies and laughed so hard.  There have been times a number of us have been laughing so hard that we can barely breathe.  

Respected Contributor

I do and I still receive Birthday cards.