Honored Contributor

Re: Do people actually keep score?

@Carmie wrote:

There is a big difference between volunteering your time and money to help someone in need because you want to..vs... someone always asking for and expecting you to help them. Then, they are selfish when you need help from them one time and they say no for no good reason except they don't want to.

I agree @Carmie  and our country is much more that way than in my younger days. As someone wisely stated: "what happens when the takers outnumber the makers?" Different concept but same meaning.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ WOW!

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819  That's a sad way to look at things. Glad it's not me. I help out when I can. If I need help and get it, I'm grateful. If someone isn't able to or just doesn't want to at that time, it's honestly not the end of the world.

My family and friends and I don't hold grudges or keep score. I feel sorry for people who do.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy No, some people say no because they are selfish...plain old selfish, nothing more, nothing less.  They take and take and give nothing back to anyone...ever.  Life is all about them.

Respected Contributor

It is irritating when you hear someone say to someone you owe me.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chiclets  There are two kinds of people in this world. There are givers & takers.I am definitely a giver, always have been.Nobody owes me anything.That being said I agree with @Carmie  Some people are selfish.There are times where you just start to feel used,period.

Esteemed Contributor

I certainly don't keep score, however, I am not completely brain dead, and I do realize when I go above and beyond for someone, over and over. And when they are super needy, they have time for you. When the need is over they drop you, you never hear from them at all, whether you need anything or not. Text them to see how they are, get on sentence answers, I quit texting, and I don't hear much from her now.

I don't keep score, I think the op you are referring to @CrazyDaisy , doesn't necessarily keep score either. I think we know when we have been treated crappily and if we are smart, we say good riddance.

Have a good day.

Respected Contributor

I don’t think it is a matter of keeping score. I think it just really hurts when we care about someone and they don’t care back.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy , LOL, yes they do, and I've seen it way too many times on this very forum over the years!

Honored Contributor

I'm sure people do keep score of those they help and hope if they need help one day, they will respond in kind. It really bothers me when people have to tell you how much they do for others. I guess that's their reward, but it doesn't make me admire them, I'm suspicious of them.