Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Use Self Checkout At Stores?

There's no way I'm going to use self-check out!  For one thing I never just buy a few things.

If I'm going to the store, I'm getting enough for at least 1 week.

Second, I'm way too slow to do that.  Food is expensive these days.

I figure for what I pay for the food, someone can at least bag the stuff up.

It's ust a sign of the times.  You still pay the same price whether you bag it or they bag it.

I think more people would use it if you got some kind of discount by using the self-check.

But all of the stores are too money-hungry and Heaven forbid should it in anyway benefit the customer.

It's always about their bottom line (money-wise).

Trusted Contributor

Absolutely not. Not until I receive the employee discount or other compensation. I have explained on several occasions when the employee tries to get to use use self checkout that I do not work there.  

And here I thought I was the only one.  Glad I'm in good company,  😄

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

At first I didn't think I would like it.

Now, I rarely use anything but self checkout.

I like that I can put things in bags exactly how I want and don't have to unpack them because a checker thought it was a good idea to put 20 heavy things in one bag!

I like that I can check prices if I want without being rushed (though I've gotten really good at going pretty fast).

And like someone said, it saves the step of putting everything on the belt.

All the stores I've been at, there are employees standing by ready to help

if needed.

Granted, sometimes I get one that is not really sure of what they are doing, but this seems to be getting less as people become used to the system and trained and more knowledgable.

And I like that when the employee is coughing or appears to have a cold, I don't have to go through that line.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

I love the self-checkout lanes and always use them, if I don't have a lot of groceries.  I can put all the cold things together, put the produce together, and other similar items together, so putting them away at home is much easier.  Plus, I don't have to make polite chit-chat with the cashier:  "Yes, I found everything I needed" (that's why I'm checking out!) or discuss my purchases with the bagger: "Yes, I like this item" (that's why I'm buying it!)

Esteemed Contributor

Never at Walmart since that's where I buy large quantities of cat food (my 4 kitties get hungry), litter and bulk items, plus the normal "stuff". There is never enough room for all of my bags before I can put them in my cart....plus, when I spend over $100 in groceries, I expect them to provide some service to me. I always use self checkout at Sam's since I usually only have a few items. My neighborhood grocery store provides such great service that I wouldn't even think of using their self-checkout.

Respected Contributor

I recall a comparison last year at Thanksgiving  on the news with two Grocery Carts filled with the same items for the meal and there was no time saving going through  the Self Check Out. Lines make the difference if wait time is a factor ,I would surmise. I have on occasion if I only have a couple of items. Searching produce costs and coupons are too cumbersome for me . There are so many varieties of apples, for example.

Respected Contributor

Never.

Trusted Contributor

Sheesh!  Discount on merchandise for self-checkout?  These people must think they are really important.  I always use self-checkout.  It is fast and I do not have to stand in line.  Except, when some idiot get in the self-checkout lane with a full cart.  People do not know what 15 items or less means.

Esteemed Contributor

Seems like around my area that the stores that have them are

forcing customers to use them because at say a grocery store

in my area, Giant, will have one cashier on even on a Saturday

morning.

So instead of waiting behind a line of 3 or more customers, of

course most people will gravitate to the self checkouts. They

are annoying sometimes with problems then waiting for help.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG :  I do use those lines at grocery and Wal-Mart but I'm not happy about it.  Obviously it's a ploy to contain expenses.  I too have left my cart in the aisle at Wal-Mart when the checkout lines were so long that customers in line have to make room for shoppers passing through.  I too, called the WM manager and told him what I thought of their lack of consideration for their customers.  Agree that it they gave me something off my bill for doing my own bagging (and waiting for employee to help me when system screws up).